2014 / Romex / Hot Tubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Can I route NM cable though the interior of a 79-unit apartment building to supply the disconnect for a hot tub? Looking at 680.43(C).

EDIT: 680.42(C)

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
The section restricts the use of NM to one family dwellings, so I'd say no.

But does it?

I don't have a copy of the 2014, The definition of Dwelling unit in 2011 says Single unit. So if that is consistent with the 2014 then nope cannot use it.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Can I route NM cable though the interior of a 79-unit apartment building to supply the disconnect for a hot tub? Looking at 680.43(C).

EDIT: 680.42(C)

Firstly, What is the construction of the Apartment building?...is it of Type III,IV or V construction?

Second, if it is Type I or II, is the Type NM Cable going to be installed a raceway permitted to be used in Type I and II Construction?

While Section 680.42(C) does modify or amend Chapters 1-4, it specifically says in Section 680.42(C) the following " In the interior of a dwelling unit or in the interior of another building or structure associated with a dwelling unit, any of the wiring methods recognized or permitted in Chapter 3 of this code"

Does the use of Type NM Cable (in the context of your buildings construction) permit it to be installed in the building in the first place...if not then it is not permitted.

So when all of those questions are answered then we can see if Section 680.42(C) can apply...in my opinion.

Note: this is a PRE-COFFEE explanation so......all things considered ;)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I can only assume that NM is allowed in the structure as George is certainly aware of that part of the code. Assuming that I don't believe it is an issue to run feeders or branch circuits thru other apts although they cannot terminate in other apts- 210.25

I see there is an art. in 230 (230.3) where the service conductors cannot pass thru another building or structure but I don't see any rule for feeders or BC.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Type V. This is a single hot tub (for discussion's sake) served by a house panel. The hot tub can be used by tenants of any of the 79 apartments.

NM is clearly prohibited in the 2011 by 680.42 sending you to Part II; nothing in 680.42 amends 680.21(A)(1) requiring an insulated copper EGC.

2014 muddies the water but it is still prohibited in my application, no?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I get it now-- this is not a tub for the individual apt as I thought. It looks like the 2014 has done away with the one family dwelling so I see the problem. It appears to be compliant IMO in 2014 but I am not sure that is the intent

Status
Not open for further replies.