Disconnect Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nietz001

I'm installing a 75KVA transformer (480-120/208) The transformer will be located 150ft from the 480 volt switchboard and the 120/208 panel will only be 10 ft from the secondary of the transfomer. Do I need to install a disconnect ahead or behind the transformer?
Jeff

raider1

Staff member
The 208/120 panelboard must have a main breaker installed in accordance with 408.36(B) and 240.21(C).

As far as a disconnecting means on the line side of the transformer a new section in the 2011 NEC now requires a disconnecting means located within sight of the transformer or the transformer must be marked with the location of the remote disconnecting means and the remote disconnecting means must be capable of being locked in the open position. (See 450.14 2011)

Chris

dkidd

Occupation
PE
must have a main breaker installed in accordance with 408.36(B) and 240.21(C).

Not quite accurate. It could be fuses, and could be remote on the feeder.

And sometimes a single main device is not needed.

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
Not quite accurate. It could be fuses, and could be remote on the feeder.

Correct, but the OPer mentioned that the secondary supplied a panelboard and the most likely way to comply with both 408.36(B) and 240.21(C) would be with a main breaker in the panelboard.

And sometimes a single main device is not needed.

To comply with 408.36(B) the overcurrent device would have to be a single breaker or set of fuses.

Chris

Nietz001

length of secondary

length of secondary

Charlie,
The length of the secondary conductors should be less than 25ft. My main concern was do I need a main on the 120/208 panel board and/or a disconnect between the transformer and the panelboard. I thought conductors exceeding 25 ft would require the additional disconnect.

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Charlie,
The length of the secondary conductors should be less than 25ft. My main concern was do I need a main on the 120/208 panel board and/or a disconnect between the transformer and the panelboard. I thought conductors exceeding 25 ft would require the additional disconnect.
You need to comply with the rules in 240.21(C) that cover the required overcurrent protection of the secondary conductors. In general if the conductors exceed 25' you have to provide the overcurrent protection at some point on the transformer side of the 25' limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.