Sizing conductors for underground service

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardrichman

I'll be installing a 200 amp underground service, total run transformer on pole to terminals of meter pan average voltage drop approx. 410 ft. average I'de run 3 4/0 aluminum conductors. Considering the run, Would I calculate a minimum voltage drop and run 3- 250 or 350 MCM conductors considering 2 compressor loads?

HR...

howardrichman

I'll be installing a 200 amp underground single phase residential service, total run transformer on pole to terminals of meter pan average voltage drop approx. 410 ft. average I'de run 3 4/0 aluminum conductors. Considering the run, Would I calculate a minimum voltage drop and run 3- 250 or 350 MCM conductors considering 2 compressor loads?
HR...[/QUOTE]

howardrichman

4/0 is likely fine. I could be talked into running 250MCM. No way I would run 350. I would for sure reduce the neutral.

Thank you for reply. I'm contacting local power company for a price also to compare to what it would cost me to dig trench, supply and install material, and remove the existing pole in yard.

HR...

kwired

Electron manager
If I determined I needed more conductor I'd likely run parallel 4/0 instead of 350.

Material wise may cost less or may not - but often is less simply because of higher bulk quantities purchased by the suppliers for those size conductors as well as raceways. And 4/0 is less back breaking to handle the 350. You also get more CSA out of two 4/0 then a single 350. Two 3/0 gets you close to a 350 - but no supplier ever has 3/0 aluminum, but usually has a lot of 4/0.

jumper

If I determined I needed more conductor I'd likely run parallel 4/0 instead of 350.

Material wise may cost less or may not - but often is less simply because of higher bulk quantities purchased by the suppliers for those size conductors as well as raceways. And 4/0 is less back breaking to handle the 350. You also get more CSA out of two 4/0 then a single 350. Two 3/0 gets you close to a 350 - but no supplier ever has 3/0 aluminum, but usually has a lot of 4/0.

CSA?

Status
Not open for further replies.