bathtub outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith gigabyte

situation: Customer constructing 1200 sq foot addition. In the master bath they want outlets on either side of tub. The tub is a typical bathtub. Fill every use from permanent faucet associated with tub, designed for one person, max water depth less than 42 inches, self contained drain to house plumbing. It sits along the wall but centered in room. I immediately said I need to check the code, but I don't think that is allowed. Side note there is a shower stall in the room too (not that it would matter)

checked Bathrooms Article 210..article 406..article 550..article 551..article 552 lots of good info but nothing specific to distance to tub.

Went to article 680 swimming pools, fountains and similar installations. Looking for the definition this falls into. can't find one; closest i can find is Storable swimming pool, wading, or immersion pool.

Following that I get into section II permanently installed pools. 680.22 (a)(2) other receptacle locations. 6 feet from inside. seems legit...but home owner stated what if i have a small 8'x8' bathroom? My vanity basin outlet would violate the 6 foot rule.

He wants these outlets and I cannot find a definitive answer allowing; but have found one disallowing (680.22) but he shot that on in the foot.

I can always defer to AHJ but at this point i want to know out of my own curiosity

Thanks

user 100

situation: Customer constructing 1200 sq foot addition. In the master bath they want outlets on either side of tub. The tub is a typical bathtub. Fill every use from permanent faucet associated with tub, designed for one person, max water depth less than 42 inches, self contained drain to house plumbing. It sits along the wall but centered in room. I immediately said I need to check the code, but I don't think that is allowed. Side note there is a shower stall in the room too (not that it would matter)

checked Bathrooms Article 210..article 406..article 550..article 551..article 552 lots of good info but nothing specific to distance to tub.

Went to article 680 swimming pools, fountains and similar installations. Looking for the definition this falls into. can't find one; closest i can find is Storable swimming pool, wading, or immersion pool.

Following that I get into section II permanently installed pools. 680.22 (a)(2) other receptacle locations. 6 feet from inside. seems legit...but home owner stated what if i have a small 8'x8' bathroom? My vanity basin outlet would violate the 6 foot rule.

He wants these outlets and I cannot find a definitive answer allowing; but have found one disallowing (680.22) but he shot that on in the foot.

I can always defer to AHJ but at this point i want to know out of my own curiosity

Thanks
Check 680.70 thru 74-code would seem to treat hot tubs like bathtubs.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Forget article 680 for a standard bathtub. Just install them so that they're not over the tub as in compliance with the section that Dave posted.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Forget article 680 for a standard bathtub. Just install them so that they're not over the tub as in compliance with the section that Dave posted.

Exactly, art. 680 has nothing to do with standard tubs. The only restriction for placement of receptacles is that they not be over the tub. Is this compliant-- tub to the right and sink to the left. IMO, if it is not over the tub then it complies.

ry%3D480

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Exactly, art. 680 has nothing to do with standard tubs. The only restriction for placement of receptacles is that they not be over the tub. Is this compliant-- tub to the right and sink to the left. IMO, if it is not over the tub then it complies.

ry%3D480

agree. don't like it but find it to be Code compliant.

mwm1752

So, I just observed a situation on this that input is welcome -- 6' x 30" freestanding tub -- sits on an 8" raised platform/step aprox 12' x 3' that extends to the back & both side walls -- tub is installed in the center of platform -- one side wall has a recept @ approx 3' above platform --

Is the platform part of the surround or is the surround only to the edge of the tub? --

So, if the edge of the tub is the surround then technically if the platform was 6'6" x 3' would the same recept still be legal?

keith gigabyte

• Thanks for the input. Didn't really think 680 was appropriate but hey when ur stumped. I did check 406. But guess I was looking for a distance because still seems wrong to have outlet that close. I'm thinking someone gets a long bath puts radio in ledge of tub plugs in to gfci outlet few feet away. Radio falls in tub and gfci fails...wham.. Might be code compliant but I don't feel comfortable doing it

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So, I just observed a situation on this that input is welcome -- 6' x 30" freestanding tub -- sits on an 8" raised platform/step aprox 12' x 3' that extends to the back & both side walls -- tub is installed in the center of platform -- one side wall has a recept @ approx 3' above platform --

Is the platform part of the surround or is the surround only to the edge of the tub? --

So, if the edge of the tub is the surround then technically if the platform was 6'6" x 3' would the same recept still be legal?

IMO edge of the tub, having a platform on an elevation different from the floor is irrelevant. Treat the tub as if it were sitting on the floor.

John120/240

ry%3D480

Once had a similar bath room layout. Say the receptacle (in picture) is mounted on the left side of the stud. My receptacle for whatever reason wound up on the right side of the stud and failed inspection. Had to move to the left side of the stud.

Agree with augie47 don't really like the installation but it is code compliant.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I also agree.

The odd thing is if it was a mobile home it would be a violtion.

I don't get it. What am I missing?

550.13(F) Receptacle Outlets Not Permitted. Receptacle outlets
shall not be permitted in the following locations:
(1) Receptacle outlets shall not be installed within or directly
over a bathtub or shower space.
(2) A receptacle shall not be installed in a face-up position
in any countertop.
(3) Receptacle outlets shall not be installed above electric
baseboard heaters, unless provided for in the listing or
manufacturer’s instructions.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I could be wrong but I seem to remember a 36" minimum distance being discussed before here.

Maybe the light switch?

It does state one outlet within 36" of each basin- that may be what you remember. I see nothing about switch location in a bathroom

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I do not get it either . What is the difference in a Residence or a Mobile Home ?

Don
I am certain you can tell the difference...:lol:

Interesting part of Article 550 is section 550.14(D)

(D) Bathtub and Shower Luminaires. Where a luminaire
is installed over a bathtub or in a shower stall, it shall be of
the enclosed and gasketed type listed for wet locations.

The mobile home does not seem to have the restrictions of art. 410.10(D). Now apparently Chapter 4 is the general rule that can be amended or changed by other articles. In this case it seems that section 550.14(D) override 410.10(D) but I am not sure that was the intent. If that were the case then I can install a chandelier over a tub in a mobile home but not in a standard home...:thumbsdown:

iwire

Staff member
It does state one outlet within 36" of each basin. I see nothing about switch location in a bathroom

Well as I said I could be mistaken but my memory is usually pretty good on stuff like this. :)

I seem to recall discussions where a rule for mobile home bathrooms was different than for stick built homes for no apparent reason.

I went looking in 550 as well and found nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.