Generator OC protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
A neighbor bought an 8 kw propane gennie that came with a whip/weather resistant conn. box. Largest wire in whip is 10ga. I'm going to use a lockout device but am unsure of bkr size, but thinking 30a. 8kw/120v though is over 60a. Thoughts?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
A neighbor bought an 8 kw propane gennie that came with a whip/weather resistant conn. box. Largest wire in whip is 10ga. I'm going to use a lockout device but am unsure of bkr size, but thinking 30a. 8kw/120v though is over 60a. Thoughts?
Maybe because the 8kw rating is at 240V?
Many generators cannot deliver their rated output through only half of the output winding.
For example, I have a generator that has a 20A 240V output, but only 30A at 120V on one side of the line.

Last edited:

templdl

Have you given it some thought that the generator must be able capable of putting out enough overcurrent tyo trip a breasker thermally as well as enough short circuit current to trip a breaker magnetically?
This is very unlikely to happen with a common UL489 breaker as the common generator is not likely sized large enough to do either. Remember that it is not like being supply by a utility.
You may be disappointed should you compare the generation capabilities of the generator to the trip curve of the breaker you propose to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.