Cree led buzzing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbakelis

I've been putting the cree cr6 led module sold from big orange in for a couple years now but I've noticed on a few jobs of late that there is a slight buzzing that occurs when using an led dimmer. I don't know the technical answer to why this is happening. Anyone?

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Possibly the enamel on a step down transformer breaking down letting the wafers of core to vibrate to the extent of being audible? As with most transformers over time from heating effects.

DanielHickman

The CR Series is an amazing combination of price and performance. Built upon technical innovations in optical, electronics, mechanical and thermal design, the CR Series provides amazing color accuracy and advanced dimming capabilities.
The CR6 generates white light with LEDs in a new way that enables an unprecedented combination of light output, high efficacy, beautiful color, and affordability. Why are you getting problem with it.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
LED rated dimmers are not necessarily the answer.
Try a regular dimmer or a Low voltage.

For example.
Halo 4 inch will buzz with a lutron LEd dimmer the 6 inch will not.

There are different requirrements. You need to see if the LED requires Phase control dimming and then Forward or revers Phase control.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
hmmm, from a strictly LED Controls perspective, the best way to control LED is via PWM, thus the controller should map a pot voltage to PWM. this allows dimmer switch to be very "lightweight" w/ great control of LED (constant voltage, constant current, duty cycle). in my view, there should be zero noise when controlling LED brightness.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
The CR Series is an amazing combination of price and performance. Built upon technical innovations in optical, electronics, mechanical and thermal design, the CR Series provides amazing color accuracy and advanced dimming capabilities.
The CR6 generates white light with LEDs in a new way that enables an unprecedented combination of light output, high efficacy, beautiful color, and affordability. Why are you getting problem with it.
Wow! I'll buy 12 right now based on your unbiased opinion.

n1ist

Occupation
Principal Electrical Engineer
Might also be a capacitor that's buzzing. I've had ceramic and film caps that have buzzed in LED power supplies until I potted them. The ceramic caps work just like piezo tweeters.

/mike

tbakelis

I guess I'll try a normal dimmer instead of led dimmer next time. Can someone explain to me the difference between an led dimmer and a standard dimmer and why something that is marketed as "specifically for Led" ends up not working as good as one that isn't?

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I guess I'll try a normal dimmer instead of led dimmer next time. Can someone explain to me the difference between an led dimmer and a standard dimmer and why something that is marketed as "specifically for Led" ends up not working as good as one that isn't?

Older thread, but this was the cliffhanger last post. Any fresh answers?

Status
Not open for further replies.