how o better myself and resume as an electrician

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all

I am a apprentice electrician here in Michigan. I am studying for my journeyman exam taking it in a month or 2, but i plan on moving out of state eventually and been looking at jobs in different parts of the USA. and i know there is a whole lot of things that are out there to learn in this field. I just don't know where to start. i have allot of residential experience some commercial and industrial. I feel as though my apprenticeship is about to end and the place i work at has taught me allot, but not enough its a small company with 5 total employees and everyone thinks they know everything and no one has an open mind that theirs more to learn. So i think thats there downfall. Basically i just don't know how to better myself as an electrician after my journeyman exam. what are the things you look for as an employer in an employee to have knowledge in? what other further education will help me understand the field of being an electrician and as well make me a better candidate to a new job. basically i dont want to be like the guys at my shop getting older stuck in there ways and closed minded. My personal opinion there all stuck where they are and they all know it. any advice and schooling online or in class or opportunities i can take to better my self and my resume? i appreciate any and all responses

John120/240

The field is full of opportunities. PLC's & Automation Controls...Data,Fire Alarms, low voltage...building maintenance...refineries & chemical plants...Romex roper...etc.
I have listed my Strengths & Weakness on paper & then decide where I can apply my strong points & work on the weak ones. Have a positive can do attitude & be on time.
Others will chime in with their own experiences.

under8ed

You sound like a good candidate to go far in this field. You know to ask for advice, and you pick the right place to ask for it. One suggestion I'll bet you wouldn't have expected to receive here is to continue mastering the language skills and vocabulary. So many people have no idea just how important those skills are at determining where they end up in their lives.

kwired

Electron manager
Keep reading about things and participate in forums like this one. Or at least read posts even if you do not respond to much. There is a lot that can be learned just looking at other people's questions/answers at a place like this. This opens up your knowledge base some even if you have no experience with a particular item, area, type of application, etc. you at least have read about it and know a bit of information going in. Once you have been around the field a while and get to know your theory pretty well, you find things are really not that much different from say residential work only to industrial work - things are just dialed up some.

When you see talk about a motor on this forum you will realize some of those items are the same for 1 hp as they are for a 1000 hp, just with bigger numbers for many aspects in most cases, but the theory behind either motor is pretty much the same - with a detail that maybe needs more attention in one case than in others.

haskindm

NEVER stop studying and learning. Never stop looking for your next job. There is no such thing as job security so keep your options open. Many people in our trade say they "never want to do a desk job". What happens when/if your physical condition won't let you do the work you most enjoy. I have done everything from door-to-door sales, to electrical, to teaching, to business owner, to education administration. Don't close your mind to any opportunity.

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
The best advise I can give you is to stay knowledgeable with Code and Electrical Theory. This will help you no matter what direction you take in our field. As others have said try to learn (by doing or studying) all the different areas in our field, there are so many. At the very least try to come on this forum a couple of nights a week and read and learn from other's trials and errors. It will amaze you at how many times someone has encountered the same problem that you are facing in the field, and the answer is right there on the screen in front of you!

You are right, try to be versatile and open minded. Don't be like those guys you work with now that only know certain things and there is only "ONE" way to do it.

cadpoint

To boost your resume you only need to search on-line with your favorite search engine.
There are several general styles of resumes and you can get a better idea of what will
fit your history to boost your own position. I use a combination of two style types, IE

Name, address, (all contact information)
Education: (completed), which includes academic (to date), any special training, Ex. OSHA 10 or 30. If your less than 10 years out of HS you can list it, especially if you
had shop or vocational classes!

Objective: This is I believe is a must because you can list, other jobs that you are not only qualified for, have history in - based on resume, but of future jobs that are interest to you! You should also list here if you free to relocate!
Experience: (or Work History: ) Then list the company(s) backwards and what work you did.
EX:
Gained MI State Journeyman License in five years while employed with Mutt and Jeff Electrical Construction, 8200 Hayes, MI. 56731 (000)999-4444 and Fax number.
Date employed 10/2009 - 2/2015

When listing work experience be concise and describe constructively what was completed. IE Worked four inch through one inch PVC below slab for interior and exterior walls of 2400 Sq/Ft Middleton Bank on Harper St, Middleton, MI.
Was in charge of all overhead conduit EMT runs for lighting systems and fire alarm circuits of combination 6000 Sq/Ft office warehouse on Industrial Drive, Middleton, MI.
It all just depends on what you did in your various jobs - but hit the high lights of
your experience in each major job if your going to list it.

You can study up on style and format rules of creating a resume, and in fact also create various cover letters, some larger company's require one when submitting a resume. The cover letter should address that job opening that you are applying for, so you can create several! If you sending out cold letters to employers without them knowing your sending your resume, don't. Call first to each company to find out if there
accepting resumes or even taking applications for positions, You can ask or find out other ways if the company is union, if your interested in keeping that. If you contact a company, ask if there's a person that your job inquiry letter needs to be addressed to, make sure to check the spelling and exact title and of the person's position. So now you have to develop an introduction letter! You also have to have References and make that a separate sheet and only mail or include this if requested to. Have this on hand if you have to file out an application and list your references.

Gather up both personal and professional references! You have to ask each personally.
Call ahead to all references and start what your doing, "Joe I'm looking at several firms
for a new job as an electrician" or "Joe there's this one job at Iron Works (describe company name) that might call you, I'm going to a plant electrician job..."
Have an assortment of references, some company ask for non related job references, not direct supervisors. Your direct boss might be best reference for knowledge of work and character but a complete
personal ass, so they might not be on a reference list. They will be one be listed in application as supervisor.

You also have to watch social media BS, like your Facebook Page, and other outlets that
you might or might not be involved in. More and more company's check for activity
and their grading people now with notable activity. Linkedin is another.

You can use Indeed and Monster and place your resume there and open and close, when people can view your resume, just keep it up to date when your ready to search for a job.

Phonic and correct capitalization is a complete must make sure someone else reads and helps edit everything.

Repeating all this crap is on the internet, just keep the resume yours till your really ready to get out of present drama.

Only after you've personally filled out a few applications will you get a feel for all that's required.

Good luck with your future diversion.

Last edited:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Keep expanding your electrical knowledge and general knowledge. Always ask why. If you know "how & why" something works you can always troubleshoot it easier. And it does not have to apply to electrical only.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
tobyfootball,

All the above is excellent advice. TO cherry pick I would say, to me, that verbal and written communications skills are very important, especially as you move along in your career. You will find you need to talk to someone who is uneducated in this field and doesn't understand the acronyms/slang to PHD level Engineers.

One thing that has helped me has been the fact that I have been able to stick my fingers in a vast amount of varied equipment--from 19teens to modern electronics--from old fashioned sliding contact crane controls to electronic switching, relay logic (DC and AC) to PLCs--and the troubleshooting that goes along with working on them.

I have found that the troubleshooting skills are applicable to a lot of things in life.

Bottom line for me is: The day I figure that I have nothing left to learn is the day I quit--Because at that point I am going to get someone hurt or killed--

So always keep learning,,asking questions, whatever it takes.

It sure looks like you have the knowledge, skills and drive, not only to pass you JW test, but to go on to be one of the better people in this field.

Welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing plenty more posts as you progress!

Rich

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.