Violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Yes, in both the horizontal and the vertical.

We can't recess panels like that. I understand it is a minimal intrusion but still.

If the recess is wider than 30" I guess it would be OK on that score. How about if the recess went down to the floor and up to 6'6"?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This is a violation that should have been caught before any wires were attached or any wall finishes were installed. This is going to be a tough one to fix (presuming the local AHJ throws a flag on this play).

If you need to explain this to the contractor (the GC, perchance?), then the answer is that the space that begins at the front face of the panel, that extends fully side-to-side for the panel's full width, that also extends for a total width of at least 30 inches side-to-side, that extends to distance away from the front face of the panel for 36 inches, and that extends from the floor to 6.5 feet above the floor, must be clear of any obstructions. That 2 inch or so wall finish that extends from the front face of the panel to the wall's surface is an obstruction in the required working space.

iwire

Staff member
If the recess is wider than 30" I guess it would be OK on that score. How about if the recess went down to the floor and up to 6'6"?

Yes 30" wide and down to the floor, I would have to crack the book to verify the height but I think you are correct.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
That would be an acceptable fix, from the electrical perspective. But it will be ugly, from the architect's perspective. So any suggestion to that effect is going to receive some major push-back. I wish the GC good luck with this one.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Yes 30" wide and down to the floor, I would have to crack the book to verify the height but I think you are correct.
I cracked the book. He is right. But something rang a bell in my mind. I cracked the book some more, and confirmed what I remembered:

• The authors of Article 110.26(A)(3) apparently believed that 2 meters was equivalent to 6 feet, 6 inches.
  • The authors of Article 240.24A apparently believed that 2 meters was equivalent to 6 feet, 7 inches.

Go figure! :roll: For the record, 2 meters is actually closer to 6 feet, 6 and 3/4 inches.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
That would be an acceptable fix, from the electrical perspective. But it will be ugly, from the architect's perspective. So any suggestion to that effect is going to receive some major push-back. I wish the GC good luck with this one.

Regardless of whether the AHJ is inclined to be accommodating, what practical difficulties could this obstruction cause? I can count my panel installation experiences on one hand and have 5 fingers left over.

Status
Not open for further replies.