AFCI's and circuit extensions unclear

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is everyones take on the 2011 code change 210.12(B);

Branch Circuit Extensions or Modifications-Dwelling Units

Would I have to install an arc fault breaker if I get a service call to replace one damaged receptacle? is that a "Modification, or is it about just Extensions? What if the nice old lady has a fusebox, find an arc-fault receptacle??!!

If customer actually goes for the breaker ($$), what about trips from the rest of the wiring by "others"

Nightmare......

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Would I have to install an arc fault breaker if I get a service call to replace one damaged receptacle? is that a "Modification, or is it about just Extensions? What if the nice old lady has a fusebox, find an arc-fault receptacle??!!

If customer actually goes for the breaker ($$), what about trips from the rest of the wiring by "others"

Nightmare......

My take? That is maintenance. You did no additions or mods.

Would I need to do a REScheck to replace a broken window?
http://www.energycodes.gov/rescheck/

"Repair" makes sense for the receptacle replacement task, thanks Mike. that's what I think too.

As far as "Modify" like to simply relocate a foot or change to a quad. Lots to think about as far as how much extra in time and labor for that poor customer that will not call you back. Isn't there an arc fault receptacle out there?

Isn't amazing all our houses didnt burn down yet? Sorry, ranting here.

PaulWDent

The AFCI fiasco.....

The AFCI fiasco.....

A neighbor 2 fields away (we all have 10 acre plots round here) is an ornamental metal worker and does arc welding in his workshop. I have tried AFCI's in my panel and his welder trips them all the time. The same is true at another neighbor's house 4 fields away on the same utility line.

I read the code as allowing AFCIs to be dispensed with if the branch circuit is wired with EMT or Greenfield. The local inpsector in our county agrees. Interested to have other inspectors' takes on that.

jumper

A neighbor 2 fields away (we all have 10 acre plots round here) is an ornamental metal worker and does arc welding in his workshop. I have tried AFCI's in my panel and his welder trips them all the time. The same is true at another neighbor's house 4 fields away on the same utility line.

I read the code as allowing AFCIs to be dispensed with if the branch circuit is wired with EMT or Greenfield. The local inpsector in our county agrees. Interested to have other inspectors' takes on that.

I believe you and your inspector are misinterpeting 210.12(B) Exception 1. It allows an AFCI device at the first location, instead of a breaker for the whole circuit, if certain wiring methods are used from the panel to the AFCI device. AFCI protection is still needed for the required circuit.

Exception No. 1: Where RMC, IMC, EMT or steel armored
cable, Type AC, meeting the requirements of 250.118 using
metal outlet and junction boxes is installed for the portion
of the branch circuit between the branch-circuit overcurrent
device and the first outlet, it shall be permitted to
install a combination AFCI at the first outlet to provide
protection for the remaining portion of the branch circuit.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Would I have to install an arc fault breaker if I get a service call to replace one damaged receptacle?
The two key pieces in the language in 2011 210.12(B) is:
. . . where branch circuit wiring is modified, replaced, or extended, . . .
First, "replaced" would apply to changing an existing worn part for a new part.

But, the real question lies in the definition of "branch circuit wiring". This is a three word term, and is something different than "branch circuit", in my opinion. And the three word term is not defined in Article 100, or elsewhere in the NEC.

The word "wiring" by itself is not defined in the NEC. "Wiring" is a pretty nebulous term that might well be construed to include the assembly on the end of the conductors that is part of the electrical current path.

My hunch is that once manufacturers release the "listed outlet branch-circuit type AFCI" receptacle device in the wild, for sale and installation, that many AHJ's will say to replace the old device with the new AFCI device.

Its often the case to install several J-boxes near panels during a changeout as the wire lengths are just inadequate for the new panel. What are thoughts as to whether or not this will require many of the circuits to require AFCI protection since its a modification???

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Its often the case to install several J-boxes near panels during a changeout as the wire lengths are just inadequate for the new panel. What are thoughts as to whether or not this will require many of the circuits to require AFCI protection since its a modification???

It's a judgement call on length. Basically I would not require it. You are not extending the circuit. To me extend means adding to the circuit down stream.

If you say yes would you make me add AFCIs if the 'extention' was in the panel? Using pigtails to make the new connections.

Inspectors can have a field day with this! SO Unclear as what exact part of the circuit quantifies as "Modified" from breaker to outlet that would require the afci install. Every code article should at least try to be black and white in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.