Grounding Electrode Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Number 6 is all that is needed but many here believe stranded is okay. In one of our jurisdictions it will get turned down based on 250.62

Ravenvalor

Number 6 is all that is needed but many here believe stranded is okay. In one of our jurisdictions it will get turned down based on 250.62

Article 250.62
The grounding electrode conductor shall be of copper, aluminum, or copper-clad aluminum. The material selected shall be resistant to any corrosive condition existing at the installation or shall be suitably protected against corrosion.The conductor shall be solid or stranded, insulated, covered, or bare.

What is there for them to turn down?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Article 250.62
The grounding electrode conductor shall be of copper, aluminum, or copper-clad aluminum. The material selected shall be resistant to any corrosive condition existing at the installation or shall be suitably protected against corrosion.The conductor shall be solid or stranded, insulated, covered, or bare.

What is there for them to turn down?

They believe that stranded isn't suitable protected against corrosion since there is more chance of corrosion between the strands.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We use only #6 stranded conductors to ground rods. If it were really a problem I'm sure that the NEC would have addressed it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
even though the code specifically says stranded is OK?

Does the code specifically say that stranded may be used for a ground rod? It says stranded is permitted however it must be resistant to corrosive materials. Do I really think it is an issue---NO but obviously others do so just beware. I have never used anything but solid to rods.

eprice

even though the code specifically says stranded is OK?

250.62 also specifically says aluminum conductors are ok, but that doesn't mean we can use aluminum conductors to ground rods [See 250.64(A)]. 250.62 is for grounding electrode conductors in general, many of which can be installed so as to not contact the earth. I am not in the "no stranded conductors to ground rods" camp, but I can see how the requirement that the conductor be protected against corrosion might be used to argue against stranded conductors to ground rods.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The question remains as to whether or not stranded copper to a ground rod need protection. It seems they allow a ground ring in the earth that is stranded so why not to a rod.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The question remains as to whether or not stranded copper to a ground rod need protection. It seems they allow a ground ring in the earth that is stranded so why not to a rod.
Perhaps because the minimum size for a ground ring is #2. Larger strands would take longer to corrode...???

But probably because it is required to be bare and in contact with the earth. So that probably trumps protection from corrosion.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Larger strands would take longer to corrode...???

That was my thought and I also think that was what Bob had stated in an earlier thread.

If someone writes an amendment to ban stranded from rods it will probably get turned down simply because it may be fine in some areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.