GFCI for refrigerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
TrainWreckHwy56aerial3.jpg

jetlag

I was listening to one of those home improvement shows and a question was about the residential refrigerator tripping the circuit breaker. The host said that in the 2008 code, GFCI protection was required. Am I missing something?

Im wondering why they started to require gfci on a window a/c unit but not on a frig, they claim the compressor starts to go bad current will leak to ground. the gfci comes on the cord now. A frig or freezer in unfinished basement requires gfci, but that is one code I violate on my own house, a freezer full of rotten food is not a good thing. And it will happen sooner or later with gfci.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Im wondering why they started to require gfci on a window a/c unit but not on a frig, they claim the compressor starts to go bad current will leak to ground. the gfci comes on the cord now. A frig or freezer in unfinished basement requires gfci, but that is one code I violate on my own house, a freezer full of rotten food is not a good thing. And it will happen sooner or later with gfci.
Its not a GFCI. It is an LCDI or AFCI. 440.65

jetlag

thanks curt

thanks curt

Now my question is what is the difference between a leakage current detector interupter and a ground fault circuit interrupter . I figured they just called it that because it is on attachment cord. But it can be an afci also lke you say . It also seems it is for damaged cords mostly but the compressor leaking will trip it also but they didnt mention in the handbook

kwired

Electron manager

What are you supposed to do with a new circuit installed for an old unit that does not have LCDI or AFCI? 440.65 says
shall be provided with factory-installed LCDI or AFCI protection.

Does this mean this unit can not be installed on a new circuit? Good luck telling the homeowner that he can't use his $40.00 unit he bought at a garage sale, he will run circuit himself or hire a handiman.

Hendrix

What does this have to do with GFCI protection? :confused:

Exception #2 to 210.52(B)(1) implies that refrigeration equipment is exempt from GFCI protection.

That's true. Still has nothing to do with requiring GFCI protection of a fridge outlet.

That's the point, it dosen't require it.

There is no need or requirement for a fridge to have a single receptacle.

That's true.

Npstewart

Anytime you have a receptacle within 6' of a water source you need one 210.8 (7) - handbook narative.

"This change to the code brought GFCI protection to all areas in a dwelling unit in which a sink is installed....it covers all 125 volt 15/20 amp receptacles that are within 6' of any point along the outside edge of the sink."

Also see Exhibit 210.14 in the handbook where it shows a receptacle and a dimension line of 6'-0" to a receptacle.

It also goes on to say that there are NO EXCEPTIONS to this rule.

Would this be close enough sparky?

Npstewart

I posted a post on here about a month ago. I got a code rejection because a receptacle serving a fridge in a break room was within 6' (by about 2 inches) of the edge of the sink. We had some discussions about this.

It may be considered a nuisance trip WHEN it trips but I read so many articles about people dying because there was no GFCI receptacle etc.

I would rather have a home owner sue me because there food went bad, rather then sue me because their kid died etc.

lakee911

I would rather have a home owner sue me because there food went bad, rather then sue me because their kid died etc.

I would rather not get sued. :D

Actually, though, the NEC is NOT a design guide, it is a minimum set of standards that should be followed. I agree that it is probably in your best interest to install one if you have any doubt as to its necessity.

To be honest though, I end up struggling with the same issues in industrial applications...

Npstewart

I get calls all the time from electricians ,yelling at us because something is beyond code, they always tell me they didn't install it because it wasn't required. There's nothing I love more when they come to us asking for a letter for something they didn't do that was on the drawings.

Theres so many people out there that take no pride in their work, and miss the whole point of safety issues. The NEC isn't a tax code, where the more you get away with the better.

cdcengineer

Anytime you have a receptacle within 6' of a water source you need one 210.8 (7) - handbook narative.

"This change to the code brought GFCI protection to all areas in a dwelling unit in which a sink is installed....it covers all 125 volt 15/20 amp receptacles that are within 6' of any point along the outside edge of the sink."

Also see Exhibit 210.14 in the handbook where it shows a receptacle and a dimension line of 6'-0" to a receptacle.

That's referring to a wet bar sink.

kwired

Electron manager

For dwellings-

210.8(A):

(6) Kitchens ? where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop surfaces

In a kitchen if it does not serve the countertop surfaces GFCI protection is not required. No mention of sinks or anything except countertops.

(7) Laundry, utility, and wet bar sinks ? where the receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink

Kitchen sinks are not mentioned in this part.

The NEC handbook is not an NFPA interpretation of the NEC. All comments in the handbook are the opinion of the writer(s) of the book, just like all comments on this forum are the opinion of the members that write them.

I could be wrong, after all it is just my opinion:)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For dwellings-

210.8(A):

(6) Kitchens — where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop surfaces

In a kitchen if it does not serve the countertop surfaces GFCI protection is not required. No mention of sinks or anything except countertops.
(7) Laundry, utility, and wet bar sinks — where the receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink
Kitchen sinks are not mentioned in this part.

I agree, part (7) does not apply to a dwelling kitchen sink.

mrcanby

I get calls all the time from electricians ,yelling at us because something is beyond code, they always tell me they didn't install it because it wasn't required. There's nothing I love more when they come to us asking for a letter for something they didn't do that was on the drawings.

Theres so many people out there that take no pride in their work, and miss the whole point of safety issues. The NEC isn't a tax code, where the more you get away with the better.

no but it does require us too use product that dont work very well if at all.
afci is a perfect example.

Status
Not open for further replies.