Pigtail all devices proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
If you want to pigtail everything, why not, just propose that all wires have to be looped through the box (no pigtails, no splices, etc.). That way we can spend even more time on the job,& charge more (because it will "look" "more" professional).

Years ago (helper then), the owner/boss-man, sent us to a friends home that the friend was wiring, but ran into problems. Looked great at first. Wired everything so gas or electric could be used for heat, appliances, etc. The owner had looped the romex through the boxes (sounds good, right). BUT when he reached the end of the 250 foot coil, he "joined the wire between the studs with wirenuts only" (NO j-box, would be behind the wall covering ) :jawdrop:

Sure would hate to have to make that splice at an outlet;)

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
These were used long time ago and their faults are small contact area and low retention force. I am not sure but I think you can still uses these, even though I have not seen anyone use them lately.

View attachment 11400

Those are Scotchlok connectors.

I have repaired hundreds of those on 12 volt systems. It amazes me they are rated for 600VAC

For those not aware, you don't strip the insulation on the wire, you just squeeze them shut and the inside piece pierces the insulation and makes contact.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
As I recall they are listed for exactly one wire size on each contact, or at least a very narrow range. Are they also limited to stranded wire?

hurk27

Those are Scotchlok connectors.

I have repaired hundreds of those on 12 volt systems. It amazes me they are rated for 600VAC

For those not aware, you don't strip the insulation on the wire, you just squeeze them shut and the inside piece pierces the insulation and makes contact.

Very common in auto industry, but I have also seen them in many appliances, we called them inline taps, if you have ever used hot taps which is kind of a split bolt with teeth inside but insulated on the outside so you can't come into contact with the live conductor, but are in a sense kind of the same thing, I've used hot taps up to 250kcmil, most phone line connections are also done this way, even the punch down, the phone taps have a dielectric gel in them to keep the connection from the air and moisture so they last a long time,some call them UB's.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, I do personally know 5 people on the committee and I am a member of the IEC so at least I may have a slight chance in this one...

In lieu of substantiation, insert cronyism.

...so worst case we flip breaker and certain things don't come on then we start looking for a buried box.

So... You pigtail your devices at trim? :?

How about you leave well enough alone. There are many different ways to skin a cat, and there is seldom a perfect answer that suits everyone aside from the freedom to choose.

Edit to add: All the rules in the world cannot substitute for proper training, and termination is a point of training that is so fundamental that it gets overlooked. Fix that and your concern goes away.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
In lieu of substantiation, insert cronyism.

So... You pigtail your devices at trim? :?

How about you leave well enough alone. There are many different ways to skin a cat, and there is seldom a perfect answer that suits everyone aside from the freedom to choose.

Edit to add: All the rules in the world cannot substitute for proper training, and termination is a point of training that is so fundamental that it gets overlooked. Fix that and your concern goes away.
"Pigtailing" can be done poorly as well. New guys are likely to have conductors come loose from a "wire nut" connection at times. People that have had to come back and make fixes and discover those failed connections eventually learn to pay more careful attention when making that connection the first time. You can preach all you want to that new guy, but until he has experienced that failure enough times - he won't get it.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician

I'm glad George is good with words, this is what I wanted to say but didn't know how to phrase

swei

In the UK they believe this is much safer than useing wire nuts and only allow connections by terminal strips ( everyone has a different opinion). They do make their receptacles a little more heafty and they cost more.

They also have internally fused male cord ends, which make far more sense than feeding unprotected 18ga zip with 20A branch circuits does.

A GFCI has clamp-down terminals that you tighten with a screw. Also spec-grade non-GFCIs do too (at least every one I've installed).

I also have a strong preference for back wired "screw-actuated clamp" designs. These produce a clean, tidy trim-out in minimal time with a truly solid connection. That extra 1/8" or so of side room created by fully engaging the screws reduces the risk of arcing to tight boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.