Removing old low voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

I'm quoting a job, 3 floor building that was originally residential, then became offices and now is going back to residential. The drop ceiling is being removed and a sheet rock ceiling at the same level will be installed. There are numerous j-boxes and wires that can be brought down to the level of the new ceiling but also all the cat 5 and old phone wires for the offices are strung up there all over the place. Can they be cut and left in place where they go through a wall?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I'm quoting a job, 3 floor building that was originally residential, then became offices and now is going back to residential. The drop ceiling is being removed and a sheet rock ceiling at the same level will be installed. There are numerous j-boxes and wires that can be brought down to the level of the new ceiling but also all the cat 5 and old phone wires for the offices are strung up there all over the place. Can they be cut and left in place where they go through a wall?
Yes....

800.25 Abandoned Cables.The accessible portion of abandoned communications cables shall be removed. Where cables are identified for future use with a tag, the tag shall be of sufficient durability to withstand the environment involved.

kwired

Electron manager
Contract someone to remove them with condition that they must remove them from site, after which they can salvage the copper.

Of course there is not a lot of copper in communication cable compared to power cable - but not your problem, maybe if you let them take unused power conductors as well they will be more willing to take communication cables.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Don't know why you wouldn't want to remove it yourself. Years ago we used to throw it all in the dumpster. There was one job where an old Verizon building was being renovated where we filled two 20 yd containers. Today I sell it to a scrap yard for 90 cents/lb and if I had all the old wiring I had thrown away over the years I probably could retire.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.