OSHA requirements for removing meter sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know the current OSHA requirements for working on live 120/240 single phase or 277/480 3 phase meter sockets. We have recently had a takeover in our power company up here in northern Maine and the new company has stopped us from doing meter work saying it's a safety issue. What are the exact OSHA requirements for working on meter sockets? Gloves, face shield, FR clothing, boots...etc?

iwire

Staff member
just curious are they also requiring arc fault requirements be placed on their meters, that will guide you in protection.

I am sure some will have a problem with my view but here it is.

OSHA all but prohibits live work. You can work live for troubleshooting or if shutting down is more hazardous.

If you are doing live work that is allowed you must wear the protective equipment to meet the risk. If the fault current is low, basic gloves, fire resistant clothing etc might be enough, as the fault current becomes higher you start to get into the bomb suit type of gear and in some cases the fault current is too high for any work.

Are you an electrician or do you work for said company? Makes a difference because right now it's a different set of rules and/or additional rules that may be made by the POCO for employees. I think next year lineman or meter techs and electricians will be following similar rules. Next year everyone will have to wear gear that is arc rated for the location. Right now that is not the case. You can see someone working on bushings of a transformer with rubber gloves, glasses, and light FR while an electrician is required to be in a bomb suit in similar locations.

I don't think there are any extra OSHA rules for working on a meter trough. Where I am only a face shield, glasses, minimum FR, and rubber gloves, are required when working in a meter trough over 240v including 240v three phase. No face shield 240 single phase and under. Those are company rules. There are going to be new OSHA arc rating rules next year, but they are vague right now I think.

Unless you are an employee of the company, it just sounds like they are using it as an excuse to not let anyone access meter troughs besides company reps.

Iron_Ben

I would like to know the current OSHA requirements for working on live 120/240 single phase or 277/480 3 phase meter sockets. We have recently had a takeover in our power company up here in northern Maine and the new company has stopped us from doing meter work saying it's a safety issue. What are the exact OSHA requirements for working on meter sockets? Gloves, face shield, FR clothing, boots...etc?

I don't know the OSHA requirements but current policy at the poco where I worked is that it's okay to remove or install energized single phase 120/240 meters with PPE of 1000 volt gloves, hardhat and face shield. Absolutely forbidden to remove or install meter on an energized 480 volt service. We used to mandate a customer-supplied knife switch disconnect ahead of the meter on all new non padmount 480 services for this reason. Made for unhappy customers on 800 amp services.

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.