• I work for someone else

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • I worry that having signage on my truck makes me a target

Votes: 6 6.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Power Tech

Why or why not place your info on a truck?

Do you feel that having signage on your truck makes it or you a target and why?

It does make you a target for vehicle fraud. Had a woman swerve into my lane and clame I hit her. No paint on my truck, No dammage to her car. Did not feel any contact. I took pictures. Turned it into the insuranc company, and she did the same. They did a field inspection of both vehicles and found no damage. The lady was insane. Point is yes, you are a target for that lady.:D

I think she wants a new paint job.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
About 2 weeks ago I got pulled over, issued a ticket, and now have to go to court because my van lacked signage.

Boy the police could earn a living just on that alone in my town. It's the law about signage. but never seemed to be enforced.

PetrosA

It does make you a target for vehicle fraud. Had a woman swerve into my lane and clame I hit her. No paint on my truck, No dammage to her car. Did not feel any contact. I took pictures. Turned it into the insuranc company, and she did the same. They did a field inspection of both vehicles and found no damage. The lady was insane. Point is yes, you are a target for that lady.:D

Insurance fraud was one of the "targeting" things someone mentioned to me and the primary reason I created the poll. Thanks for the input.

480sparky

Two words: Dash Cam. Serious.... just like the cops use, but they're digital now, no VHS tapes.

They're getting pretty sophisticated, easier to use, and pretty much automatic now. And the prices are getting very reasonable. I'm seriously thinking about one for each vehicle.

PetrosA

I thank you all for responding. I am a bit surprised to see the majority of those answering have their trucks lettered (about 3 out of four by my count). Around here it seems only the companies with a lot of trucks get them lettered.

I asked because I have a truck ordered and I wanted to get as many balanced opinions as I could before doing my lettering. My gut tells me to do the lettering and get the advertising and image. I would have rethought that instinct if the numbers were the other way around ;)

Minuteman

We sold off a 2003 Chevy van that had a toasted motor, about 2 months ago. For some reason I though that my boss had the signage removed. So, yesterday I was driving out to do a repair on some work at an apartment complex, and there was our old van. For sale at a place with half dozen work trucks from the phone company. Our logo and phone number plastered all over the sides. :mad:

480sparky

We sold off a 2003 Chevy van that had a toasted motor, about 2 months ago. For some reason I though that my boss had the signage removed. So, yesterday I was driving out to do a repair on some work at an apartment complex, and there was our old van. For sale at a place with half dozen work trucks from the phone company. Our logo and phone number plastered all over the sides. :mad:

Free advertising!;)

e57

Boy the police could earn a living just on that alone in my town. It's the law about signage. but never seemed to be enforced.
What state are are you in???? We always seem to get on to California stuff - but there is no law for signage on EC vehicles.... :confused: There are a few contractors that do have to have signage... (but don't confuse the 'electric sign contractor' specialty...) I think 'taxi's', 'cranes' and 'tow-trucks' also need signs but not EC's.

? 7029.5. Display of name, business address and business license number on commercial vehicles

Every plumbing contractor, electrical sign contractor, and well-drilling contractor licensed under this chapter shall have displayed on each side of each motor vehicle used in his or her business, for which a commercial vehicle registration fee has been paid pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 9400) of Chapter 6 of Division 3 of the Vehicle Code, his or her name, permanent business address, and contractor's license number, all in letters and numerals not less than 1 1/2 inches high.
The identification requirements of this section shall also apply to any drill rig used for the drilling of water wells.
Failure to comply with this section constitutes a cause for disciplinary action.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
What state are are you in???? We always seem to get on to California stuff - but there is no law for signage on EC vehicles.... :confused: There are a few contractors that do have to have signage... (but don't confuse the 'electric sign contractor' specialty...) I think 'taxi's', 'cranes' and 'tow-trucks' also need signs but not EC's.

sorry but you forgot this one.Every contractor must do the following.? 7029.6. Display of business name and contractors? license numberExcept for contractors identified in Section 7029.5, every contractor licensed under this chapter shall have displayed, in or on each motor vehicle used in his or her construction business, for which a commercial vehicle registration fee has been paid pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 9400) of Chapter 6 of Division 3 of the Vehicle Code, his or her business name and contractors? license number in a clearly visible location in print type of at least 72-point font or three-quarters of an inch in height and width.Added Stats 2003 ch 118 ? 1 (AB 1538).

e57

sorry but you forgot this one.Every contractor must do the following.
? 7029.6. Display of business name and contractors? license number
Except for contractors identified in Section 7029.5, every contractor licensed under this chapter shall have displayed, in or on each motor vehicle used in his or her construction business, for which a commercial vehicle registration fee has been paid pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 9400) of Chapter 6 of Division 3 of the Vehicle Code, his or her business name and contractors? license number in a clearly visible location in print type of at least 72-point font or three-quarters of an inch in height and width.Added Stats 2003 ch 118 ? 1 (AB 1538).
Well HOT DAMN! You learn something new every day....
And you're right - about 60% of trucks fitting this description don't fit it at all, to include myself up till ten minutes ago - But apparently you can fit it the law by printing up a piece of paper in 72 point font and chucking it on your dash-board.... ;)

I got my license in '01, and apparently they added this in 2003... Just goes to show you need to keep an eye on law changes before they come to bite ya....

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Well HOT DAMN! You learn something new every day....
And you're right - about 60% of trucks fitting this description don't fit it at all, to include myself up till ten minutes ago - But apparently you can fit it the law by printing up a piece of paper in 72 point font and chucking it on your dash-board.... ;)

I got my license in '01, and apparently they added this in 2003... Just goes to show you need to keep an eye on law changes before they come to bite ya....
Ya think thats big enough! You got to read those Flyers that come in the mail from CSLB.
Do you do small service and repair calls these day's?
Do you know about the service and repair contract?

e57

Ya think thats big enough! You got to read those Flyers that come in the mail from CSLB.
Do you do small service and repair calls these day's?
Do you know about the service and repair contract?
Yeah that's what 72 point font looks like on paper BTW... :D I'll do something more permanent about this later - I'm considering a DBA name change... ;)

I know about the other ones, and yes I do read them - but this one escaped me, and apparently thousands of others as it is not screaming at you (LOOK for it in there....), cause there are lots of guys out there with commercial plates and no signage at all. There are also very few references to it on the CSLB web-site. Not in the '03, or '04 press releases, the only other reference I found is on this pamphlet. (printed in '08)

FWIW the law itself is very poorly written with a gaping hole in the middle of it. i.e. no wording for permanent, where, etc.... The words "in" and "clearly visible" could very well be on the passenger seat.... IMO. :roll: I'm no legal authority, but - a twelve year old could have written a better worded law.... As nearest I can tell, there is no disciplinary action, penalty, or fine attached either.

Anyway - thanks for pointing me in the right direction...

e57

I should add - I looked and nearest I can tell the CSLB has taken no action on a License for this law. Not even listed as a violation in the published list of violations on suspensions or revocations...

So yes - I see no enforcement...

marti smith

I like signage. It creates accountablilty. I like that. I take pride in my work. A little advertisement isn't too bad for business, either.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Yeah that's what 72 point font looks like on paper BTW... :D I'll do something more permanent about this later - I'm considering a DBA name change... ;)

FWIW the law itself is very poorly written with a gaping hole in the middle of it. i.e. no wording for permanent, where, etc.... The words "in" and "clearly visible" could very well be on the passenger seat.... IMO. :roll: I'm no legal authority, but - a twelve year old could have written a better worded law.... As nearest I can tell, there is no disciplinary action, penalty, or fine attached either.

Anyway - thanks for pointing me in the right direction...

Yeah. The more I look at Ca law I see they all seem to have gaping holes. I guess they do that so the guy with money to defend can get off free and clear. ( not cash free that is)

e57

Yeah. The more I look at Ca law I see they all seem to have gaping holes. I guess they do that so the guy with money to defend can get off free and clear. ( not cash free that is)
Aint that the truth..... Except certification recently due thier respective lobbies - can yank your license - which I'm half tempted to go out and enforce myself....

Anyway I was thinking of this last night - if I remember right - there is a town to the south of me that doesn't allow truck signage when parked in certain neighborhoods... (Woodside or Palo Alto I think??? This was many years ago.) I remember everyone but me had to park in the driveway which over flowed onto the lawn - then they got busted for being on the lawn too....

Status
Not open for further replies.