125 amp plug in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daja7

My customer has a 200 amp 3 phase panel with plug in style branch breakers. He wants a 125 amp sub panel installed. I cannot find where a 125 plug in 3ph is available . Does any one Know if they are manufactured? ITE panel.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
The Seimens 125 amp breaker is not available in the 3 pole version for your 3 phase panel but is available for single phase (2 pole).
Dont know why, but I ran into this a while back also.
Hopefully your customer can get by with 100 amp feed to his sub panel.

kwired

Electron manager
I have run into same thing with QO series panels - no plug on 125 amp breaker is made in three pole version, need to get creative if trying to add a circuit to an existing panel in this situation.

Do you need a 125 amp breaker to feed your new sub panel? Just because it has 125 amp rated bus doesn't mean it can not be protected a a lower level - like 100 amps.

If you do need to add 125 amps of load - you may need to be looking at if the 200 amp service or feeder is enough anyway.

My customer has a 200 amp 3 phase panel with plug in style branch breakers. He wants a 125 amp sub panel installed. I cannot find where a 125 plug in 3ph is available . Does any one Know if they are manufactured? ITE panel.

Some manufacturers make a subfeed lug kit or a plug on terminal block (like a breaker but not a breaker). If something like this is available you could run a 200 amp feeder or maybe use a tap rule to effectively run a 125 amp feeder. If this is a MLO panel and depending on physical space, you could even make your own by replacing the lugs with double hole lugs, but some would call this a 110.3(B) violation. I have done it several times.

Daja7

I have run into same thing with QO series panels - no plug on 125 amp breaker is made in three pole version, need to get creative if trying to add a circuit to an existing panel in this situation.

Do you need a 125 amp breaker to feed your new sub panel? Just because it has 125 amp rated bus doesn't mean it can not be protected a a lower level - like 100 amps.

If you do need to add 125 amps of load - you may need to be looking at if the 200 amp service or feeder is enough anyway.

The 200 amp 3 ph panel (MCB) has very little load on it, just some lights and receptacles. 32 amps per leg max. The sub panel will have some equipment that will be close to the 100 amp capacity at times so I am going with 125.
Not sure how to deal with this at this time.

kwired

Electron manager
The 200 amp 3 ph panel (MCB) has very little load on it, just some lights and receptacles. 32 amps per leg max. The sub panel will have some equipment that will be close to the 100 amp capacity at times so I am going with 125.
Not sure how to deal with this at this time.
You can tap the supply but exactly what you can do depends on some more information. Is the supply service conductors, feeder conductors, a transformer secondary tap conductor?

Status
Not open for further replies.