Underground service XHHW vs USE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, one last question on this topic. I have to run an underground service entrance (200 amps) from a meter pedestal, approximately 200' to the house. I am deciding between XHHW AL vs USE AL. I will be using schedule 80 PVC. The XHHW has a smaller diameter and would allow me to use smaller conduit. The PVC is more durable. What would be better in this case? Is the USE really THAT much better to justify the larger conduit?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Ok, one last question on this topic. I have to run an underground service entrance (200 amps) from a meter pedestal, approximately 200' to the house. I am deciding between XHHW AL vs USE AL. I will be using schedule 80 PVC. The XHHW has a smaller diameter and would allow me to use smaller conduit. The PVC is more durable. What would be better in this case? Is the USE really THAT much better to justify the larger conduit?

Sch 80 is a waste of good money underground. Use 40. USE does not need to be in conduit. XHHW would be special order here so my choice would THWN or USE. I go to the effort of XHHW when conduit is existing or paralleling.

Use the larger conduit, they guy pulling will appreciate it.

Glock23gp

I only pull in xhhw for residential service runs. Wholesale house stocks it and it's cheap. And yes sch 40 is all I use unless subject to physical damage and that's only where exposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.