Intersystem Bond - inline bonding device

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I received a sample from the CEO of ByerSource last week of a new instersystem bonding product.
Its designed to have the GEC go thru the center and have conduit connected to it. A good application of this would be to install under an external panel and have the GEC run in PVC conduit connected to the inline bonding device.
What I don't know is the cost or where to purchase. Its interesting to see new and innovative products come along.

I had posted about this product earlier but the sample and my picture make the use a bit clearer.

Attachments

• 250.94 BeyerSource.jpg
    250.94 BeyerSource.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 0

kwired

Electron manager
You think the cable guy will see that under the disco and know what to do?;):happyno:

You could put anything there and cable guy will not find it. They are good at bonding to outside sill faucets but then you go inside and see there is non metallic piping feeding the sill cock:happysad: They will land their bonding conductor under a set screw of a romex connector or EMT fitting even if that device was there.

If that device is not listed with instructions that say otherwise wouldn't you need to bond both ends to the GEC running through it? If you were to run a GEC through a close nipple you would have to.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think that he's saying even with the set screw near the top tightened you would still have a few inches of GEC running through the metal without bonding right at the end.

kwired

Electron manager
I think that he's saying even with the set screw near the top tightened you would still have a few inches of GEC running through the metal without bonding right at the end.

Yes, it really is no different than running the GEC through maybe a 3-6 inch nipple of GRC. If you did that you would have to bond each end. I'm assuming it is tested and listed to not have to bond it at each end.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What is that device made out of? If made of non-ferrous metal, there would be no bonding issue like there would be with rigid steel conduit.

inline

What is this device made of... Reply

What is this device made of... Reply

Monday, June 27 2011

:)Material has been conformed: Aluminum 6061 with an electro-conductive finish as required by ETL Intertek.

This device has been conformed as C-ETL certified and is currently patent-pending.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
If I were to punch a 7/8" hole on the bottom of a meter socket and attach this device via a locknut and run my GEC to it, would that be an adequate termination of the GEC to the system?

RICK NAPIER

A/A Fuel GTX
If I were to punch a 7/8" hole on the bottom of a meter socket and attach this device via a locknut and run my GEC to it, would that be an adequate termination of the GEC to the system?

No see 250.24.

RICK NAPIER

I would think it would prohibit bonding to the meter cabinet to bond to the grounded conductor. In 250.24(A) it says you "shall have a grounding electrode conductor connected to the gounded service conductor" Then in 250.24(A)1 it further identifies this connection to be at any accessible point up to and including the terminal or bus in the main. Since they use the words connected to and not bonded I believe they want a more substantial connection than using the steel frame to bonding the electrode and gounded conductors together.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I would think it would prohibit bonding to the meter cabinet to bond to the grounded conductor. In 250.24(A) it says you "shall have a grounding electrode conductor connected to the gounded service conductor" Then in 250.24(A)1 it further identifies this connection to be at any accessible point up to and including the terminal or bus in the main. Since they use the words connected to and not bonded I believe they want a more substantial connection than using the steel frame to bonding the electrode and gounded conductors together.

Thanks, I would say your point is valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.