40 and 50 ampere branch circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Just need some conformation on 210.23 (C). By its wording, does this mean that a 40 or 50 amp outlet in a dwelling for purposes other than a range is not permitted? Or is this section mute on that?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Just need some conformation on 210.23 (C). By its wording, does this mean that a 40 or 50 amp outlet in a dwelling for purposes other than a range is not permitted? Or is this section mute on that?

The way I read it, multiple outlet circuits would be prohibited, but not individual outlet circuits.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
That would mean that I could run one circuit for 2 receptacle provided they only serve cooking appliances and the demand factor is not over 80% of the circuit rating? But no such restriction exists for a 30 amp circuit in a dwelling, ie I could have a dozen NEMA 6-30rs for a welder that moves around but not if the cord cap is 6-50?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
That would mean that I could run one circuit for 2 receptacle provided they only serve cooking appliances and the demand factor is not over 80% of the circuit rating? But no such restriction exists for a 30 amp circuit in a dwelling, ie I could have a dozen NEMA 6-30rs for a welder that moves around but not if the cord cap is 6-50?

Yes, but I don't see any need for an 80% limit.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Arent all cord and plug connected appliances restricted to 80%? This has me confused :(

No, there is an 80% restriction for any one cord-and-plug connected utilization equipment on 15, 20 and 30A branch circuits, but not on 40 and 50A branch circuits.

The total load on the circuit can be 100% of the branch circuit rating.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
No, there is an 80% restriction for any one cord-and-plug connected utilization equipment on 15, 20 and 30A branch circuits, but not on 40 and 50A branch circuits.

The total load on the circuit can be 100% of the branch circuit rating.

Thanks for the clarification I owe you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.