Electrical contractors in Mass

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJWalecka

Was laid off from Griffin. In some ways Griffin was a great company...in others not so. Some forman were good. Some hack. Some installers good, some hack. Don't know why a customer would pay for hack installations. You get what you pay for and low bidders don't alway give the best quality.

peter d

Was laid off from Griffin. In some ways Griffin was a great company...in others not so. Some forman were good. Some hack. Some installers good, some hack.

I think all companies are like that to some extent. The trick is knowing what jobs to place the good foremen and the hack foremen on. ;)

iwire

Staff member
Don't know why a customer would pay for hack installations. You get what you pay for and low bidders don't alway give the best quality.

You know why, COST plain and simple.

Not everyone buys a Rolls Royce, not everyone shops at Neman Marcus, not everyone uses Snap on tools.

You mentioned you work some retail, that is what I have been doing for the past 12 years and my impression is this. The large chains would gladly have us wire the building with zip cord as long as the inspectors say OK and the doors open on the day scheduled.

I was all set to do a small remodel with an electrical contract of about $180,000. Another EC came in at $150,000, the GC still wanted us as we had a good reputation and experience. The retail customer stepped in and said use the cheaper EC. So the cheaper EC got the job and screwed up a lot of it, we where paid T&M to fix it and the customer still was ahead money wise. They don't care that behind the walls and above the ceiling it looks like a train wreak.

For most customers all that matters is the lights are on, the details of how that happens do not matter.

JJWalecka

Iwire "You know why, COST plain and simple."

True but still boggles the mind nor does it make it right. I wasn't refering to a mess above the ceiling or in a wall. No one is going to die with a messy installation.

Some take pride in installations.

satcom

You know why, COST plain and simple.

Not everyone buys a Rolls Royce, not everyone shops at Neman Marcus, not everyone uses Snap on tools.

You mentioned you work some retail, that is what I have been doing for the past 12 years and my impression is this. The large chains would gladly have us wire the building with zip cord as long as the inspectors say OK and the doors open on the day scheduled.

I was all set to do a small remodel with an electrical contract of about $180,000. Another EC came in at $150,000, the GC still wanted us as we had a good reputation and experience. The retail customer stepped in and said use the cheaper EC. So the cheaper EC got the job and screwed up a lot of it, we where paid T&M to fix it and the customer still was ahead money wise. They don't care that behind the walls and above the ceiling it looks like a train wreak.

For most customers all that matters is the lights are on, the details of how that happens do not matter.

Yes, that is how it is in the real world.

iwire

Staff member
Iwire "You know why, COST plain and simple."

True but still boggles the mind nor does it make it right.

It is not wrong either, the customer has the right to spend their money how they see fit. If they choose to go with low bid they thats their choice. It is not wrong.

Some take pride in installations.

I take pride in supporting my family, I am not ashamed to wire to the level the customer is willing to pay for. (Assuming code compliance) We are not artists, we are installers no more no less.

KPR

it is not wrong either, the customer has the right to spend their money how they see fit. If they choose to go with low bid they thats their choice. It is not wrong.

I take pride in supporting my family, i am not ashamed to wire to the level the customer is willing to pay for. (assuming code compliance) we are not artists, we are installers no more no less.

check the code, neat and workman like manner. What seperates you from some laborer? A real professional is neat and fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.