Southwire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I?m sure this is off topic, but it will be coming your way.
Southwire is asking open forums to stop using the word ?Romex (registered trade mark)? without the registered trade mark (R) on the end.

I dug deeper, and found that they purchased assets of General Cable, and now they are pushing agendas. See article below:

The Romex? brand of Non-Metallic Building Wire (?NM?) originated in 1922 with its development by the former Rome Wire Company, a predecessor to General Cable Corporation. On September 5, 2001, Southwire purchased the electrical building wire assets of General Cable Corporation. One of the most valuable assets purchased by Southwire in that acquisition was the Romex brand of Type NM cable. The Romex brand of Type NM cable has now been promoted and sold by Southwire and its predecessors for 88 years and Southwire considers its Romex trademark to be one of its most valuable brand names. Romex is a federally registered trademark and we vigorously monitor and protect the use of the Romex brand in North America and around the world. Don?t just look for generic NM cable, look for Southwire?s Romex? brand Type NM cable!

I think the pettiness of the issue does more harm than good for the Southwire name. I mean does the general public care? Look at DuPont's fight for the 'nylon' name in the 50's! THAT involved the general public and they were unable to stop the hausfraus calling the hosiery anything but nylon, even if it was not made from the DuPont polyamid-8.

mivey

I think the pettiness of the issue does more harm than good for the Southwire name. I mean does the general public care?
I agree.

Look at DuPont's fight for the 'nylon' name in the 50's! THAT involved the general public and they were unable to stop the hausfraus calling the hosiery anything but nylon, even if it was not made from the DuPont polyamid-8.
Uummm....Nevermind.:D

Stevareno

Too late. The term is already engrained in our industry.
Just like kliens, crescent wrench, channel locks, vise grips, wire nuts, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.