15 & 20a circuts in gang box

Status
Not open for further replies.

malty

Used a new inspector. In a two gang box I've got a duplex receptacle on a 20A circuit and a switch leg on a 15A circuit for a light. The inspector wants one of those slide in plastic separators put in the carlon gang box between the two circuits. Does anyone have a code ruling for this ? My old inspector never required this and I can't find a code ruling for it.

raider1

Staff member
Provided that the lighting circuit is not 277 volts, there is no NEC requirement that the 2 circuits can't share the same box without a divider.

If you are under the 2008 NEC and there is a voltage between the 2 devices of 300 volts or more than you would need to have a divider.

Take a look at 406.4(G).

Chris

malty

Thanks for the reply Chris. Now all I have to do is politely ask the inspector for his nec ruling. Both circuits are 120v. There is a chance of 240v in this gang box but not 300. Is there a ruling to use a handle tie on the two SP breakers if there is 240v in the box like on a multi wire circuit?

mcclary's electrical

Thanks for the reply Chris. Now all I have to do is politely ask the inspector for his nec ruling. Both circuits are 120v. There is a chance of 240v in this gang box but not 300. Is there a ruling to use a handle tie on the two SP breakers if there is 240v in the box like on a multi wire circuit?

No, it would be illegal to do that. You don't need to do anythting other than school the inspector.

raider1

Staff member
Is there a ruling to use a handle tie on the two SP breakers if there is 240v in the box like on a multi wire circuit?

Not unless the 2 circuits terminate on the same yoke of a device. (See 210.7(B))

Chris

malty

Provided that the lighting circuit is not 277 volts, there is no NEC requirement that the 2 circuits can't share the same box without a divider.

If you are under the 2008 NEC and there is a voltage between the 2 devices of 300 volts or more than you would need to have a divider.

Take a look at 406.4(G).

Chris

I tried looking up 406.4(G) IN MY 2005 NEC. It only goes up to (F). Were still under 2002 in NYS and I don't have the 2008. Schooling inspectors is easier said than done. Sometimes they get UGLY.

raider1

Staff member
I tried looking up 406.4(G) IN MY 2005 NEC. It only goes up to (F). Were still under 2002 in NYS and I don't have the 2008. Schooling inspectors is easier said than done. Sometimes they get UGLY.

406.4(G) is new to the 2008 NEC. This section requires a divider in a box with a receptacle and another device, if the voltage between adjacent devices is 300 volts or more.

Chris

mcclary's electrical

What code section prohibits installing 2 circuits with a 2 pole breaker or 2 single pole breakers with a handletie?

Chris

Two different breaker sizes tied together???,,,,I don't think so.

Even if there's a loophole, I wouldn't do it. The breakers need to trip independant fromm each other.

Volta

Even if there's a loophole, I wouldn't do it. The breakers need to trip independant fromm each other.

Even if the handles are tied together, they will almost certainly trip independently. Now resetting one will mean disconnecting the other . . . not always ideal.

electricmanscott

Used a new inspector. In a two gang box I've got a duplex receptacle on a 20A circuit and a switch leg on a 15A circuit for a light. The inspector wants one of those slide in plastic separators put in the carlon gang box between the two circuits. Does anyone have a code ruling for this ? My old inspector never required this and I can't find a code ruling for it.

How would you connect all the egcs together in that box if a separator was installed? :confused:

hurk27

but it can even be required by the NEC:

225.33(B) Single-Pole Units. Two or three single-pole switches or breakers capable of individual operation shall be permitted on multiwire circuits, one pole for each ungrounded conductor, as one multipole disconnect, provided they are equipped with handle ties or a master handle to disconnect all ungrounded conductors with no more than six operations of the hand.

Jim W in Tampa

School the inspector by nicely asking what code # he is using. He won't win but give him a nice way to back down and still be civil and perhaps friends. He just needs more code training.

e57

I see nothing wrong with it - code refferance? Not that it is necessary.... This inspector mentioned in the OP has some very serious issues IMO. If he plans on enforcing that every time - sooner rather than later someone will be sure to correct him if not embarrass him. As surely there must be divider cards made for the panel to seperate conductors of different amperages.... :roll:

Then don't school them. Just ask them for a Code reference.
Na.... You laugh really loud... then say, "Wait are we on candid camera - where is it! Are you kidding me - are we really on TV?"

Ya... Not professional.... Hey - do it before someone else does... ;);)

Status
Not open for further replies.