Ethernet cable in 600V Cable Tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrobe

Can I run a Ethernet cat 5 cable in a cable tray with existing 460VAC cables? All the 460VAC cables are type "MC".
Belden does make a "TC" rated cat 5 cable that may work but not sure how this cable should be installed once it leaves the tray since it is not "TC-ER" rated. Any other ideas?

luckylerado

I do not believe that this is allowed without a "...permanent or listed divider." per 800.133(A)(1)(d)

May be ok if the cat5e is part of a class 2 wiring system. Say for lighting control or some such application not governed by Art. 800

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I do not believe that this is allowed without a "...permanent or listed divider." per 800.133(A)(1)(d)

May be ok if the cat5e is part of a class 2 wiring system. Say for lighting control or some such application not governed by Art. 800

isn't the MC sheath a divider? it is listed and it divides the power conductors from the communications circuit.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Be careful here.

Belden makes 600V rated Cat-5e Ethernet bulk cable, but it is NOT rated for cable tray use, it is AWM (Appliance Wiring Material) and UL Recognized only, which means it can only be used in ASSEMBLIES that are going to be UL listed under another process. In order to get a TC (Tray Cable) rating, the insulation must have passed a vertical flame test per UL standards. The bulk Belden cable has NOT passed that test. They have bulk Cat-5e Ethernet cable that is TC rated and UL listed, but that is not rated for 600V, so you cannot run it in the SAME tray as other 600V cables.

Belden also sells Cat-5e 600V TC rated Ethernet CORD SETS in fixed lengths with the fittings already installed, but not loose bulk cable for running in trays. You can buy the cord sets in lengths up to 100M, but you cannot cut the connectors off and attach your own without violating their UL 1277 listing.

So make sure you know which one you are using before you make a mistake that has to be un-done.

The only Cat-5e bulk cable I know of on the market that is both UL listed as PLTC and 600V is Allen Bradley.

Carultch

Be careful here.

Belden makes 600V rated Cat-5e Ethernet bulk cable, but it is NOT rated for cable tray use, it is AWM (Appliance Wiring Material) and UL Recognized only, which means it can only be used in ASSEMBLIES that are going to be UL listed under another process. In order to get a TC (Tray Cable) rating, the insulation must have passed a vertical flame test per UL standards. The bulk Belden cable has NOT passed that test. They have bulk Cat-5e Ethernet cable that is TC rated and UL listed, but that is not rated for 600V, so you cannot run it in the SAME tray as other 600V cables.

Belden also sells Cat-5e 600V TC rated Ethernet CORD SETS in fixed lengths with the fittings already installed, but not loose bulk cable for running in trays. You can buy the cord sets in lengths up to 100M, but you cannot cut the connectors off and attach your own without violating their UL 1277 listing.

So make sure you know which one you are using before you make a mistake that has to be un-done.

The only Cat-5e bulk cable I know of on the market that is both UL listed as PLTC and 600V is Allen Bradley.

In any event, would I be able to use FMC raceway in the cable tray, to carry any cables that are not cable tray rated / not 600V rated?

Electrobe

The Belden Ethernet cable that I am considering has a true "TC" 600V rating but must be purchased as a cord set with the connectors attached. Since this has a true "TC" rating I assume that NEC section 725 & 800 would not apply? I am aware of the 600V AWM Ethernet cable cables but they cannot be used in cable trays (Vendors still try sell them as if they can). Normally "TC" rated cables need to be ran in conduit or other raceways when they leave the tray (Except for TC-ER rated cable). Would this be the case for this cable or could it be fastened to the building with approved fasteners since it is low voltage?

I would prefer to have an "MC" or "TC-ER" rated Ethernet cable but can not find any. Belden does make a Armored Ethernet cable but it only has a "CM" rating.

Thanks in advance!

Electrobe

This is the only PLTC cable I could find also. But I don't think the "PLTC" rating will not allow it to be installed with other 600V cables unless it is type "MC" as per NEC 725.136(G)??? Hope I am missing something. Just trying to find a "code-compliant" way do this correctly and not finding it easy :)

Thanks

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... Since this has a true "TC" rating I assume that NEC section 725 & 800 would not apply? ...
725 for Class 2/3 would not apply in the sense you would be using use a Class 1 wiring method for Class 2/3 circuits (note there may be additional ramifications when doing this). Article 800 will apply regardless of the cable type if cable use falls under Article 800 application.

Status
Not open for further replies.