this may be the worst idea i've seen in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

big john

Is there something I'm missing or is the original post sarcasm...?

Those bushings are at least 10' off the ground, there's no way anyone is gonna be climbing on that, let alone children. It's meant to be an unusual piece of art, and being an electrical nerd, I think it's neat.

Funny that it looks like they even left the oil in the bushings. The biggest risk I see is some jerk chucking a rock at one.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I've been there, it's kind of cool in person too, but I too am an electrical nerd. My wife and the friends we were with for the Ross Lake and Dam tour barely noticed it.

The website clearly says it's a gazebo, not a play structure. Demolished? Geez...

I used to live next to this place in Seattle, now this IS in fact a park. They converted an old coal gasification plant into a park and left some of the old towers and machinery there. The barn in the foreground is indeed a play structure for kids, my kids loved that place growing up. The old rusted towers were supposed to become a play structure as well, but they ran out of money and now it's too rickety, but too expensive to remove because everything is toxic around it.
GasworksParkSeattle (2).jpg

Play area:
gasworks play (2).jpg
seattle_gasworks_park.jpg
Gasworks play 2.jpg

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
It's called an "umbrella grid" system. Used for arc flash studies in India.

Status
Not open for further replies.