Riser Conduits In Shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
How are they installed and what is a Bolson Chair? Thanks. Guys I like asking questions on here because I think the best information comes from the electrician.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would consider this a 21st century bosun's chair (replace the leg loops with the rigid batten seat). You can pretty much sit in it all day while working in a shaft. Find an adequate tie in point at the top of the shaft and lower yourself down with a climbing rope. Use a fall arrest rope as a backup connected to the top D ring of the shoulder suspenders. I use a similar saddle for tree work without the suspender.

8423-1.jpg

8760-1.jpg

satcom

I would consider this a 21st century bosun's chair (replace the leg loops with the rigid batten seat). You can pretty much sit in it all day while working in a shaft. Find an adequate tie in point at the top of the shaft and lower yourself down with a climbing rope. Use a fall arrest rope as a backup connected to the top D ring of the shoulder suspenders. I use a similar saddle for tree work without the suspender.

8423-1.jpg

8760-1.jpg

Yes, up to the 21st century, and related to safe working conditions, horsegoer has a good post.

Last edited:

e57

Interesting thread - the medical syndrome though seems to apply only to the motionless & unconscious - good to know if you're woken up on the way out of the shaft...

Back to shafts and conduits though - On may want to find out what type of shaft? Certainly not an elevator shaft... Unless the conduit is related to the elevator. At which point you might just ride the elevator to do it.

As for getting access to the shaft, and anchorage should be well thought out. Talk to a local scaffold renter for a cable hoist window scaffold or false car - have them set it up, train you on it. Then they pick it up and take it away.

Some years ago I had to go down a light/air well on an old 16 story building to put in a feeder at the penthouse level. It had windows going all the way down on each floor we could have worked through - but the owners weren't interested in accessing each unit to do it - we found a place with a tiny window washing rig that just fit great. (Much like pictured here) Put all the tools and conduit on it and ride right down from the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.