Schedule 20 PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeo

Has anyone used other than schedule 40 and 80 pvc underground?

I have a contractor who wants to use pvc that is manufactured in 20ft lengths underground I think it is schedule 20 but not sure. He wants to pull direct-burial cable through it.

I can not find pvc other than schedule 40 and 80 listed in the NEC, so I am not permitting him to use the other, because it is not listed.

He feels that because he is using direct-burial cable he really doesn't need to use any conduit at all and any pvc should be acceptable, I feel that if he choses to go beyond the requirement the method still need to be code compliant.

Thank you in advance for any help.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So the Sch 20 would just be a sleeve. IMO as long as the burial depth is correct it shouldn't be a problem and given that as it's not being used as a complete raceway system.

nakulak

if it's a street crossing, crush strength might be a problem. I would consult ahj or engineer on record.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
He feels that because he is using direct-burial cable he really doesn't need to use any conduit at all and any pvc should be acceptable, I feel that if he choses to go beyond the requirement the method still need to be code compliant.

I agree with the EC. He could use a sewer pipe if he wanted simply because it is not a raceway as Trevor mentioned. Now if it is necessary for protection then perhaps you have an issue.

romeo

Schedule 20 pvc

Schedule 20 pvc

So the Sch 20 would just be a sleeve. IMO as long as the burial depth is correct it shouldn't be a problem and given that as it's not being used as a complete raceway system.

Sorry I may not have explained. it is not a sleeve, it will be a complete raceway for a service lateral from a meter pedestal to a residence.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Sorry I may not have explained. it is not a sleeve, it will be a complete raceway for a service lateral from a meter pedestal to a residence.
Then it is a raceway and is not code compliant, IMO. But I see his point-- what did he do when came out of the ground?

romeo

Schedule 20 pvc

Schedule 20 pvc

I should also mention that the it does cross a driveway but it will be buried in accordance
with table 300.5

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

A complete raceway system must comply with the NEC. A sleeve is not required to comply.

romeo

Schedule 20 pvc

Schedule 20 pvc

Then it is a raceway and is not code compliant, IMO. But I see his point-- what did he do when came out of the ground?

He will change to schedule 80 when it comes out of the ground.

He obviously wants to use pvc in the event that the cable would ever need to be withdrawn.

shepelec

If he is talking about sch20 electrical duct (db120), sch40+80 sweeps and fittings can be used to make it a complete system. Sch20 is for UG use only.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If he is talking about sch20 electrical duct (db120), sch40+80 sweeps and fittings can be used to make it a complete system. Sch20 is for UG use only.
Where in the NEC do you see Schedule 20. It is not there and thus the problem. Just because it exists does not make it a suitable raceway for electrical.

KWH

Db 20

Db 20

The local Poco installs this on a reqular basis for there primary, the 20ft sections are a big time saver, will need to change over when leaving ground

shepelec

Does DB cable need to be in conduit? Other than when emerging from the ground.
Does the raceway (sleeve) that you install DB cable into need to be listed as a raceway when it is buried?

Chapter 9 does reffer to "EB" conduit in the sch 40 fill tables and Art 352 does not even mention sch40 (unless I missed it).

No mud balls here just good conversation.:)

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I do a lot of farm work and see a lot of farmer installs where they used white pvc water pipe with DB cable inside out to irrigation pivots. I'd never do it myself, but I don't really see the problem with it either as long as it's DB cable. The good news is, is electrical conduit glues right onto it for the stubups out of the ground......:grin:

The silly part of this whole argument is if the raceway is complete like Dennis suggests it should be sch.40 at least. But if you left a gap of an 1/8" anywhere in the run, now it's just a sleeve and the rules don't apply. Does that make any sense whatsoever?:

What works really slick for long runs is that premade Cable-in-Conduit. We had a couple 6500' spools for some irrigation circles and I've never laid wire so fast....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.