Going from horizontal to vertical w/4"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
When transitioning from a horizontal run to a vertical run can you use an elbow or do you need to hit a box then go vertical?

Thanks.

otto

As far as I know the only limitation for use elbows is the 360 degrees rule. Does anybody knows something different?

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
What ever you like. No more than 360 deg. in a run unless other wise show in print or spec., ie. Teledata.
Just remember it has to be pulled in some how.

growler

When transitioning from a horizontal run to a vertical run can you use an elbow or do you need to hit a box then go vertical?

Thanks.

There are many options that are open to you. The code does allow 360 degrees before you need a "pull point" but his doesn't have to be a box.

An LB is a pull point, or a c-condulet or a pulling L. If you need to turn sharply, such as when you go through one wall and up another then an LB may work out well for you. It counts as a pull point but there is no room to make taps.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
EG61,
Look at form 8 lbs almost as big as mogel and cheaper; We like a good box when we can how ever.

growler

I'd sure hate to install 500MCM or larger in a condulet.

I don't exactly recommend it myself but it is available. I think that's the reason it takes a long time to become a good electrian. There are many things available to use but it takes experience to know when and where they should be used. :)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you're installing large conductors, for pulling purposes I would install the box before or after the transition point and use an elbow. And forget using a condulet. Chances are they cannot meet the 6X or 8X requirement in Article 314.

hardworkingstiff

If you're installing large conductors, for pulling purposes I would install the box before or after the transition point and use an elbow. And forget using a condulet. Chances are they cannot meet the 6X or 8X requirement in Article 314.

I agree, but have always wondered how they got those things listed and why they don't build them large enough to handle the max wires allowed in the conduit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree, but have always wondered how they got those things listed and why they don't build them large enough to handle the max wires allowed in the conduit.

My guess is that the smaller size is for other applications. For conductors smaller than #4 AWG the 6X and 8X rules do not apply. Same with security, AV, data, telephone, CATV and other small cables. In any of those applications the larger size would not really be necessary.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is not a problem with the fitting...it is a problem with the installer not reading 314.28 and understanding that the rules in this code section apply to conduit bodies used with conductors #4 and larger.

I think the OP said data comm wiring in the conduit. If it was me I would be sure to ask if FIBER OPTIC is going in it. They may have spec'ed 4" just to allow for the bending of the glass.

IF that much is true, then an LB or similar is not even possible, and the radius of any bends must consider the spec of of the glass. I prefer boxes personally, but sometimes a wireway is a less costly and more efficient way of allowing for the bends.

Status
Not open for further replies.