Grill cord through paver wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecook

Hello,

Does anyone know if code allows to run a factory wired barbecue grill cord through a 12" thick paver patio wall w/pvc sleeve to a GFCI on the back side? Can't find anything in the code book on this. Thanks in advance.

Eric

renosteinke

NEC flexible cord rules forbid passing the cord through walls. While this is not applied to, say, a kitchen cabinet side (for the dishwasher), it's a lot harder to call a pile of bricks just a 'partition.'

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am not sure either. I have one coming up but it abuts the building so I told them I needed access to the plug under the unit.

jrohe

Occupation
Professional Engineer
My question is that if the opening is sleeved, is it still considered a "hole"? If your answer to this question is yes, then I have a couple follow-up questions. If yes, then is a framed opening (not a door or a window - just a framed opening) considered a "hole"? If not, then why would a cord not be permitted to pass through a sleeved opening, but would be permitted to pass through a framed opening?

To me, section 400.8 is a terribly ambiguous section.

sgunsel

Doors and windows close, not good for the cord. A sleeved opening through a pile of bricks - not abrasive so it won't weqr throuigh the insulation; doesn't close so it's not likely to cut the wire/insulation. Hazard? Sounds like it would be less of a hazard than routing around or over.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't see how this is really an NEC issue in the first place.

You have a portable appliance and an outlet. The routing of the cord from the appliance into the outlet would not appear to be an NEC issue. How is this any different then an outlet in your garage near the door that someone might run an extension cord to when they went to power up their electric weed whacker?

Run the cord over top of the wall, and get it signed off if that is actually necessary. The HO can route it through the ventilation opening in the pile of bricks later if he wants to.

What if it was not a hole in the pile of bricks but a slot? Would that be any different?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Hello,

Does anyone know if code allows to run a factory wired barbecue grill cord through a 12" thick paver patio wall w/pvc sleeve to a GFCI on the back side? Can't find anything in the code book on this. Thanks in advance.

Eric

Code probably does not allow it but I would not lose a minutes sleep worrying about it.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
If the sleeve was large enough than it would work?

As far as the permanent wiring issue, I believe so.

If the cord has to be taken apart to go through the sleeve, I would see that as an NEC issue. If not, then I don't see it as an NEC issue. Nothing in the NEC says you can't slide a sleeve around a cord that is part of a UL approved device.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
As far as the permanent wiring issue, I believe so.

If the cord has to be taken apart to go through the sleeve, I would see that as an NEC issue. If not, then I don't see it as an NEC issue. Nothing in the NEC says you can't slide a sleeve around a cord that is part of a UL approved device.

How is the wiring permanent if you can unplug it?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
How is the wiring permanent if you can unplug it?

I would say that due to the fact it takes tools to remove it.

Besides that, cords can't be used where run through holes in walls. They can't be installed in raceways, either. So one would have to argue if the sleeve is a raceway or not.

Another issue is UL. Is the unit still UL approved if the cord was removed, slid through a sleeve and then re-assembled?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I would say that due to the fact it takes tools to remove it.

Besides that, cords can't be used where run through holes in walls. They can't be installed in raceways, either. So one would have to argue if the sleeve is a raceway or not.

Another issue is UL. Is the unit still UL approved if the cord was removed, slid through a sleeve and then re-assembled?

I can't imagine anyone would make the sleeve so small that you could not just slide the cord through it with the plug still on.

Why would dissassembling something and putting it back together create any kind of an issue with UL? UL does not prohibit repairs of listed products.

In any case even if it is not a UL listed item what part of the electrical code requires an appliance that is plugged in to be listed in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.