Ceiling Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoltageHz

Spin it how you want. He isn't covering expenses hanging fans for $45. It doesn't matter if he didn't even slow down when he pushed the kid out. He has to slow down somewhat to get the ladder back on the truck.

I'm not "spinning" it, I'm telling you how it is.

I don't do this, I am just telling you what I've seen.

BTW, how long does it take you to put a ladder on a truck? :confused::confused:

highvolts582

this is right

this is right

100 bucks take fan down put up new fan 250 bucks for fan wire up including box wire cheap switch no dimmer 4 fans give good deal 200 each includes all material no dimmers recessed lights 100 per no dimmers included plaster or first floor jobs 25 extra per light. got that?

bradleyelectric

BTW, how long does it take you to put a ladder on a truck? :confused::confused:

To be honest, my apprentice makes me actually stop the truck before he will atempt to put the ladder in it. He may even take the time to put the bungy on it. He'd like for me to not speed off while he is doing this.

I know there are other ways to do things, but I made a business decision that we take our time and don't make ourselves or the customer think we are rushing to get things done to get in and out the fastest we can. We do things in an efficient manner and look professional doing it. We don't rush around and when we are done we take our time and do a walk through to make sure we haven't left anything and that the site is clean. We also take the time to talk to the customer. I at times am interested in people and like to know how to do things or what may interest them.

Even with rushing and throwing anything that may have been taken out of the truck back in as it slows down on its way by, someone isn't covering expenses at $45/ fan. Not saying a cash job has never been done for someone for enough money to buy lunch for the crew, but expenses aren't paid on these jobs. Just lunch is.

satcom

80 bucks for the one hr service call to hang the fan

What do you do if when you arrive you discover they need the proper support box, or the outlet wires have the insulation rotted or cooked? $80 is is way low for someone doing electrical for a living, try to spend some time going over all your overhead and operating expenses, and keep a running actuals record of all your fan jobs, in a short time you will see the real cost of fan work.

Power Tech

What do you do if when you arrive you discover they need the proper support box, or the outlet wires have the insulation rotted or cooked? $80 is is way low for someone doing electrical for a living, try to spend some time going over all your overhead and operating expenses, and keep a running actuals record of all your fan jobs, in a short time you will see the real cost of fan work.

Exactly! Some fans take more than 2 hours.

I have hung about a dozen of those J is talking about.

I hung 6 in about 2 hours.

I wish they were all like that.

satcom

Exactly! Some fans take more than 2 hours.

I have hung about a dozen of those J is talking about.

I hung 6 in about 2 hours.

I wish they were all like that.
Sure every job is different, when you get one where you need to dress it balance it, remove the existing box, and install a safety support fan box, and it is on the first floor with no attic access, you could be talking 4 to 5 hours and a $500 job that looses you money. As you said, if all the conditions are perfect, you could but in 6 in a few hours, I am guessing the guys with these off the cuff low ball prices are not in business, most of the guys operating a full time business know what they need to stay business.

Power Tech

Sure every job is different, when you get one where you need to dress it balance it, remove the existing box, and install a safety support fan box, and it is on the first floor with no attic access, you could be talking 4 to 5 hours and a $500 job that looses you money. As you said, if all the conditions are perfect, you could but in 6 in a few hours, I am guessing the guys with these off the cuff low ball prices are not in business, most of the guys operating a full time business know what they need to stay business.

When I started my business I was making $72k a year working for another company. If I can't make that after all the overhead I will go to work for someone who can.

Contractors that are willing to settle for less are ruining the economy, and cheating themselves and their family. I could even stretch it to immoral.

I know there are other ways to do things, but I made a business decision that we take our time and don't make ourselves or the customer think we are rushing to get things done to get in and out the fastest we can. We do things in an efficient manner and look professional doing it. We don't rush around and when we are done we take our time and do a walk through to make sure we haven't left anything and that the site is clean. We also take the time to talk to the customer. I at times am interested in people and like to know how to do things or what may interest them.

Ditto! This builds customer relationships, and generates referals.

Status
Not open for further replies.