TVA subcontractor electrician faces federal charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

We are all presumed innocent until proven guilty.

There are reasons for this - not the least of which is a history of abuse by the 'authorities.'

For all I know, some over-zealous chairborne paper-pusher got upset when he found out the contractor simply read the markings on the cable jacket, and did not actually have a micrometer in his pocket.

That's why we use the courts: to provide a neutral setting where both sides can make their case.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I wonder what he really did. maybe another Martha Stewart case where someone did nothing wrong but the feds managed to push the indidvidual into making a statement that might not be completely honest if dissected enough.

zog

They say he lied and if you are not a politician that's considered a bad thing. :roll:

They said he falsified records (For a nuclear safety related system no less), which I define as a lie in writing. Granted he is innocent until proven guilty, but it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Even if he is innocent, he will never work in nuclear again.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
We need way more info. did he buy the wire? Did he just put his john hancock on the paperwork that said it was measured? Is he a forman, supervisor,etc.?
For guys who have not worked in this kind of construction there is books full of paper work for every thing you do; you and your partner, forman, supervisor all end up signing off on.

I do not know how it works there - but -.

If this is a worker "JW" then he most likely had a pull ticket to get the wire from stores by #er. Then a step in the procedure would tell him to check id#er. and measure. If the part #er was right and it was the right type, etc. cable then he may have installed cable and signed that he measured the cable. I didn't see where it is said the cable was wrong.
If wrong and his only fault is not measuring and signing off; how did the cable get shipped, stocked, ided,etc.?
This could be just trying to get rid of a bad worker.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
We need way more info. did he buy the wire? Did he just put his john hancock on the paperwork that said it was measured? Is he a forman, supervisor,etc.?
For guys who have not worked in this kind of construction there is books full of paper work for every thing you do; you and your partner, forman, supervisor all end up signing off on.

I do not know how it works there - but -.

If this is a worker "JW" then he most likely had a pull ticket to get the wire from stores by #er. Then a step in the procedure would tell him to check id#er. and measure. If the part #er was right and it was the right type, etc. cable then he may have installed cable and signed that he measured the cable. I didn't see where it is said the cable was wrong.
If wrong and his only fault is not measuring and signing off; how did the cable get shipped, stocked, ided,etc.?
This could be just trying to get rid of a bad worker.

By trying to send him to jail?
If he did not measure the wire and just went by what was on the jacket that seems to be in direct violation of procedure. He should be fired but I don't know about the charges part. JMO

renosteinke

"Even if innocent he will never work nuclear again."

That's just morally wrong. Probably a realistic assessment- but morally wrong.

Heck, if he's even just 'not guilty,' I'd like to see some comeback on those who soiled his reputation, placed his person in jeopardy, destroyed his fianances, and wasted everyone's time.

If he's "innocent" he ought to get a lifetime entitlement to nuke work.

We know not the details of the case. We don't even know the specifics of the accusation. That's why we ought not try things 'in the press.'

iwire

Staff member
I am all for being 'unfair' to contractors working on Nukes, if they have any stink on them at all they need to be out the door.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
By trying to send him to jail?
That part, jail, my just be an out come, I recall a buddy telling me that it all ends up with Homeland Security due to being a nuke.
It might be that to get rid of the guy lots of paper work needed to be tracked on him to "build a case"; then when he was confronted all hell broke and ended up going further than anyone thought it would. Pure speculation on this .

renosteinke

To assert that 'any stink' is enough is to assume the accuser is above reproach.

In another arena, we all saw a man have his career destroyed, lose his position, when it was asserted that he had 'leaked' secret information. This was despite it being shown that not only was he innocent, but that his accuser knew of his innocence all along. I am not aware of the accuser facing any negative consequences for this libelous action.

That's simply sinful.

The motives of the accuser are also suspect, and there needs to be accountability. One ancient 'legal text' assessed a dishonest accuser the same penalty that they had wished to inflict on their victim. That approach has my sympathy.

iwire

Staff member
To assert that 'any stink' is enough is to assume the accuser is above reproach.

Life is tough, if you want to work in the Nuke industry be squeaky clean.

In another arena, we all saw a man have his career destroyed, lose his position, when it was asserted that he had 'leaked' secret information. This was despite it being shown that not only was he innocent, but that his accuser knew of his innocence all along. I am not aware of the accuser facing any negative consequences for this libelous action.

Ah huh, I am sure those all the facts and there is no other side to the story.:roll:

That's simply sinful.

And so is knowingly signing your name to a something you know is false.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It is a common tactic of prosecutors to charge a low level guy in an attempt to get him to rat out someone else higher up in the food chain.

Who knows what is really going on.

PetrosA

Are we all reading the same article?!? The article from the link doesn't really dig deep enough, but it seems pretty clear about there being something deeper to dig for ;)

"(Williams Specialty Services) location and contact information could not be found, and TVA could not immediately provide it."

So we have ghost companies doing work on nuclear sites. And doesn't it seem strange that TVA doesn't have data about subs on a nuclear project at hand? Really?

"TVA spokesman Mike Bradley said Correll's employer has about 80 workers at the Watts Bar project. He said the criminal case would not interrupt construction.

"It's not anticipated to slow the pace at all," he said."

So no one's going to go back and measure what that guy allegedly didn't? What's this really about, an arrest or making sure safety procedures are followed?

"The arrest comes two months after an unrelated Nuclear Regulatory Commission letter cited TVA "errors and omissions" in a Watts Bar project fire protection report (...) Soon after the letter was received, site vice president Masoud Bajestani abruptly left his job overseeing the construction project. TVA wouldn't provide details about his departure (...)"

Ah, it's about the arrest, and we can finally let this poor guy alone. He must have just been a victim of more electricians falsifying paperwork. Good thing he was the only one that had to quit! ;)

Don't get me wrong - if that electrician didn't follow procedure, he needs to pay the price, but this story smells of much larger rotting fish higher up the food chain finding scape goats.

brian john

Not that it makes any difference to the end result

But was he lazy and just did not do his job.

Forget to do it wand was covering his tushie

Or is there some corruption going on as in his bosses put pressure on him.

kwired

Electron manager
I can understand the high level of security needed as well as high level of performance from people working at such a site. If this measurement is extremely critical why isn't there requirement for more than one person to verify it. He could have measured it and reported it incorrectly on purpose or by mistake. People do make mistakes.

There has to be more to the story than just this measurement.

Status
Not open for further replies.