Broke ....Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camps0873

I am trying to locate some resources that will help me pass the electrical exam. I have been doing electrical work in Atlanta GA for around 12 years. I have not worked consistently for the last four years. My goal is to become an electrical inspector. I do not have any extra money to purchase materials to prepare for the electrical exam. I am trying to start a new beginning for myself and my family. Any help would be very appreciative and welcomed.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am trying to locate some resources that will help me pass the electrical exam. I have been doing electrical work in Atlanta GA for around 12 years. I have not worked consistently for the last four years. My goal is to become an electrical inspector. I do not have any extra money to purchase materials to prepare for the electrical exam. I am trying to start a new beginning for myself and my family. Any help would be very appreciative and welcomed.

working without a license for 12 years?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You just THINK you're broke now. Wait til you work as an inspector :D

empty pockets.png

Last edited:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Why are we beating up on the OP? Sounds to me like in these hard financial times he is trying to better his credentials, or lack there of, to be more valuable.
To the OP: As others have said, Mike Holt has some excellent free stuff. People that have a lot of miles on them and are sharp can typically pass most exams by just studying/knowing the NEC. But a prep class given by someone that specializes in your state typically makes it easier. Hang in there, it can be done. Many don't pass on the first try, but you just have to see that event as a learning moment.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Why are we beating up on the OP? Sounds to me like in these hard financial times he is trying to better his credentials, or lack there of, to be more valuable.
To the OP: As others have said, Mike Holt has some excellent free stuff. People that have a lot of miles on them and are sharp can typically pass most exams by just studying/knowing the NEC. But a prep class given by someone that specializes in your state typically makes it easier. Hang in there, it can be done. Many don't pass on the first try, but you just have to see that event as a learning moment.

I am not beating up on him. Just curious. If he is looking for a JM license to help him get to be an inspector, I am not sure the local authorities will look kindly on someone who has been working license-less these many years. They usually seem to want someone who has been around the trade and licensed pretty much forever. It seems unlikely to me that getting any kind of electrical license is going to do him all that much good as far as getting an inspector job. Especially these days when inspection agencies are laying people off.

I don't see how getting a JM license can hurt him any, although most places require some kind of formal apprenticeship to get one these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.