Apartment Load Center in bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

olc

I don't think it is a good idea, but is there anything that prohibits a load center (panelboard) from being installed in a dwelling unit bedroom?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
This would be a judgment call on the part of the AHJ. The issue is the rule in 240.24(D).
(D) Not in Vicinity of Easily Ignitible Material. Overcurrent devices shall not be located in the vicinity of easily ignitible material, such as in clothes closets.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Wouldn't the door need to have some type of lock installed at that point, if it swings toward the panel?
I assume you mean a lock on the door so that the door cannot be opened while work is being done on the panel. There is no NEC requirement for a lock. There may be local codes or a regional bias that ask for one.

I know this is a matter of dispute but I have always liked the panel behind door location. I have never had to remove a pile of debris or seen a rack of shelves in front of a panel where the door swing would be inhibited by such.

renosteinke

If the panel is mounted in the bedroom ..... do we measure the height of the breakers while standing on the floor, or on the bed? What if there are bunk beds?

:)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Don, every room in a residential application would fall under 240.24(D), unless we start providing concrete rooms for panels. :)

I may be mistaken but I thought Don was talking about behind the door. If not I agree with you stickboy. I have never seen a panel get rejected in a bedroom. Heck, don't put it in the laundry room either for that matter. We install them in laundry rooms all the time.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The rule in 240.24(D) applies to all panels. You cannot install them in the vicinity of easily ingnitible material. It does not just apply to clothes closets...that is just an example of one area that may be in the vicinity of easily ignitible material. It is always a judgement call by the AHJ, but in a bedroom may very well be in the vicinity of easily ingnitible material, and the installation of a panel in some clothes closests may not be in the vicintiy of easily ignitible material.

Status
Not open for further replies.