15 amp dishwasher ? and disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

Forget that, say what is on your mind.

Am I to assume you feel once a manufacturer makes a product that they should have no input into how it is used even though they are the ones likely to be sued?

You know what Dennis is getting at. Manufacturers that have no clue requiring things they know nothing about.

iwire

Staff member
You know what Dennis is getting at. Manufacturers that have no clue requiring things they know nothing about.

And I bet it really baffles them when those that get paid to install equipment whine about having to do more than the code minimum. :grin:

Wire EGCs are often required by engineers .... what jerks ... don't they know the NEC does not require that?

And that those stupid power companies requiring me to use four - 10' x 3/4" copper ground rods in a square with 4/0 bare copper cad welded to them just for transformer ... the NEC does not require this. Who the heck are these power company people telling an electrician to do his job?

Stupid large breaker manufacturers requiring me to use 90C conductors while sizing the same conductors to 75C or less .... what morons. :grin:

arits74

Occupation
working owner electrician
we run a 20 amp circuit to the switch first then a 12-3 down to a box under the sink,break the tab on the recep under the sink and switch one side,put a cord on the dw,plug em both in and let er bump.

electricmanscott

And I bet it really baffles them when those that get paid to install equipment whine about having to do more than the code minimum. :grin:

Wire EGCs are often required by engineers .... what jerks ... don't they know the NEC does not require that?

And that those stupid power companies requiring me to use four - 10' x 3/4" copper ground rods in a square with 4/0 bare copper cad welded to them just for transformer ... the NEC does not require this. Who the heck are these power company people telling an electrician to do his job?

Stupid large breaker manufacturers requiring me to use 90C conductors while sizing the same conductors to 75C or less .... what morons. :grin:

Jesus Christ ;) It's Christmas Bob, take the stick out of your ass for a day. :D

Note to self, Bob does not like ANYONE questioning ANYTHING. Those that do are "Whiners".

iwire

Staff member
Jesus Christ ;) It's Christmas Bob, take the stick out of your ass for a day. :D

Actually if you notice there were some big grins in my post, I was not ranting (this time:grin:) Just pointing out the obvious that we are often required to go beyond the NEC for many different reasons.

Note to self, Bob does not like ANYONE questioning ANYTHING. Those that do are "Whiners".

Yo dude .... I think the problem here is I am taking over your gig.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I suspect you can get by with a 15 amp circuit on the dw but you never know what the manufacturers specs will state. Run a 12/2 for dw and 14/2 for disposal. I never install a disposal on its own circuit. I usually will pick up the uc lights or something without a heavy load.

In my city, the AHJ requires DW to be hard wired. Would it be ok in your opinion to run a 20a 12-3 to the box for the hard wired DW, then to a switched outlet for the G.Disp.?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
we run a 20 amp circuit to the switch first then a 12-3 down to a box under the sink,break the tab on the recep under the sink and switch one side,put a cord on the dw,plug em both in and let er bump.
You could also take the home run to the receptacle first, and a 2-wire loop up to the switch.

In my city, the AHJ requires DW to be hard wired. Would it be ok in your opinion to run a 20a 12-3 to the box for the hard wired DW, then to a switched outlet for the G.Disp.?
Not if you mean the DW's J-box. It's too small.

You could run the home run to the disp. receptacle, and run a 2-wire from there to the DW.

tryinghard

this is the situation the rough wire home owners says they want a dishwasher and a disposal that they havent picked yet. id like to run them as seperate circuits I usally run a 12-3 and have 2 20 amp circuits im trying to save a buck so id like to run a 14-3 and have 2-15 amp lines.Is it likely ill need a 20 amp circuit for dishwasher or disposal?
My dishwasher label is marked with max load 9A and garbage disposal is 1/2hp so 14-3 would be just fine in my case, but 3/4hp+ would require at least 20A. I believe the disposal alone can be up to 1hp on 20a circuit supplied with 14-2 (422.10(A),422.16,430.6,430.22,430.32(B),430.52,T430.248,T310.16).

What trumps all this could be the manufactures instructions, good practice would be to have the actual loads before wiring but because this is not likely 14-2 in basic starter homes and 12-3 with customs.

Status
Not open for further replies.