Only a Licensed Electrical Contractor or Electrician?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beanland

Does anyone know if there is a NEC or contractor licensing issue that would require underground PVC conduit to only be installed by a licensed electrician or a licensed electrical contractor? I am hearing that a contractor who was not low bidder is claiming the low bidder, because he is using labor that are not electricians, cannot install conduit in the dirt. These are spare conduits for future use and we don't even know when they will be used. (I am just the engineer so I have no axe to grind either way.)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I did a quick review of some of the requirements in the Revised Code of Washington, and in particular, RCW 19.28.041. It seems to be saying that a license is required to install or maintain either (1) Wires that carry current, or (2) Equipment that is operated by current. I don't think empty conduits falls within the scope of the licensing requirements. I certainly may have missed another rule somewhere else in the RCW or the WAC, but that is all I know at the moment.

renosteinke

This is an issue that depends on the local licensing laws. I have -several times- seen jurisdictions apply licensing laws to everyone who held any 'tools,' with the POSSIBLE exception of a shovel. Under such a regime the guys actually laying the conduit would be required to be licensed electricians or enrolled apprentices.

GUNNING

Florida

Florida

FLorida says you cant use temp help to do any electrical installation. If you are not getting a paycheck from an electrical contractor you cant install anything covered in the NEC. Ditch, pipe placement, etc ..

John120/240

How is this any different than residental wiring ? The boss (master electrican )

hires 15 guys to wire homes. No the workers are not licensed. They typically

have 5 to 10 years experience, know the code rules & perform a compliant

installation. The boss is responsible for all work performed. So what is the

difference ?

growler

Does anyone know if there is a NEC or contractor licensing issue that would require underground PVC conduit to only be installed by a licensed electrician or a licensed electrical contractor?

My opinion: I would guess that you can hire anyone you want to install PVC conduit but the problem may come in the future when you wish to use it.

Were these conduit runs ever permitted and inspected? If not it's now underground and kind of hard to see and no records of them ever haveing been approved ( they may never catch it ).

All conduit is run for future use it just depends on how long before you use it, 10 minutes or ten years.

satcom

My opinion: I would guess that you can hire anyone you want to install PVC conduit but the problem may come in the future when you wish to use it.

Were these conduit runs ever permitted and inspected? If not it's now underground and kind of hard to see and no records of them ever haveing been approved ( they may never catch it ).

All conduit is run for future use it just depends on how long before you use it, 10 minutes or ten years.

I can recall a job where we ran feeders in an existing underground conduit, and when the inspector came for inspection, he said the conduit was not inspected before it was covered, rip it up and start over, he even said he wanted to see the fill material, at times the utility inspectors can also need to inspect before back fill , if service feeds are going in the run,
And you usually need a licensed contractor to secure a permit, so it makes sense if they had some labor guys run the conduit, it most likely was not inspected

kwired

Electron manager
FLorida says you cant use temp help to do any electrical installation. If you are not getting a paycheck from an electrical contractor you cant install anything covered in the NEC. Ditch, pipe placement, etc ..

Can you contract someone to dig a ditch - maybe because they have the necessary equipment and the licensed people actually install the raceway after the ditch is dug? What about directional boring? There is some equipment that every electrician has readily available.

bphgravity

I don't believe this is an accurate statement. I am pretty well versed in the Florida Contractor Licensing laws and can't recall that particular prohibition. Day labor / temp workers have long been utilized by contractors of all types and categories here in Florida.

In fact, many other licensed contractor categories are permit to perform limited electrical work associated with their particular trade. Examples would be mechanical contractors, plumbing contractors, swimming pool contractors, & solar contractors making final electrical connections to their equipment and appliances.

There are other times where it may be appropriate and comnpletely legal for non-electrical workers to perform electrical work. Work performed by other trade-persons, under the supervision of an electrical contractor, would be an example. For example, steel workers, under the supervision of the EC of record, may actually install and connect the GEC to the footing steel on a project. Or, the pool shell contractor may actually install the and connect the bonding connections to the pool steel, where under the supervision of the EC of record.

beanland

Varies by State

Varies by State

I did some digging, the particular case is in WA. WA rules state that electrical conduit, even if unused, is electrical equipment and electrical equipment may only be installed by a State licensed electrician of contractor. That is not to say that an electrical contractor can't hire non-electricians to install conduit. The problem is that the wording in various places is vague and exemptions are allowed but the exemptions are not defined. The rules appear to imply that conduit that can be the EGC is part of an electric circuit (EMT, RGS, IMC, etc.) and therefore must be installed by an electrician. But, like most law, it is subject to interpretation. Because of the vagueness, I recommended that we get a ruling from the AHJ.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would be careful about letting just anyone dig my ditch and install conduit. I had a contractor that said he would do it and I insisted I do it. I got there and there were 7 90's in the trench. I am glad I got there before the trencher left.

iwire

Staff member
Does anyone know if there is a NEC or contractor licensing issue that would require underground PVC conduit to only be installed by a licensed electrician or a licensed electrical contractor? I am hearing that a contractor who was not low bidder is claiming the low bidder, because he is using labor that are not electricians, cannot install conduit in the dirt. These are spare conduits for future use and we don't even know when they will be used. (I am just the engineer so I have no axe to grind either way.)

Here in MA installing electrical conduit requires a permit, inspections and licensed people doing the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.