Armorlite MC Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Southwire makes a MC cable with aluminum jacket called Armorlite MC. I have some 12-2 and am having trouble finding fittings for it. The diameter of the cable is a little less than 1/2". I bought some MC fittings that say 3/8"-1/2". I bought some straight and 90 box connectors. The 90s hold the cable pretty good because they have 2 screws that clamp the cable. The straight connectors don't even come close to clamping the cable. They only have 1 screw to clamp the cable and even when the screw is run all the way up the diameter of the hole is too large. Does anyone know what connector will fit this cable, and who makes it?

Volta

Southwire makes a MC cable with aluminum jacket called Armorlite MC. I have some 12-2 and am having trouble finding fittings for it. The diameter of the cable is a little less than 1/2". I bought some MC fittings that say 3/8"-1/2". I bought some straight and 90 box connectors. The 90s hold the cable pretty good because they have 2 screws that clamp the cable. The straight connectors don't even come close to clamping the cable. They only have 1 screw to clamp the cable and even when the screw is run all the way up the diameter of the hole is too large. Does anyone know what connector will fit this cable, and who makes it?

I suppose the first time you said 1/2" you mean actual, and the second time you mean trade size. Have you tried NEER C-510?

Your single-screw connector isn't a set-screw, right?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I suppose the first time you said 1/2" you mean actual, and the second time you mean trade size. Have you tried NEER C-510?

Your single-screw connector isn't a set-screw, right?

No, the ones I bought were made by Sigma Elec. and no it isn't a set screw, it's a draw clamp. (for lack of a better description)

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The connector (straight) that I have looks just like the Neer C-510. I suppose the difference is the Neer says 3/8" and the one I have says 3/8"-1/2". Maybe the 3/8" would draw it tighter or have a smaller id to start with. I will have to see if any of my supply houses can get them.

Edit: The picture of the Neer C-510 looks like it just has one screw but the description says it is a 2 screw. The one I have is only 1 screw.

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Thanks Guys, I'll check on the 2 types that were posted. If I can't get them locally, I see that I can get them on line. I like the looks of the AMC-50 &52 a lot.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
The connector (straight) that I have looks just like the Neer C-510. I suppose the difference is the Neer says 3/8" and the one I have says 3/8"-1/2". Maybe the 3/8" would draw it tighter or have a smaller id to start with. I will have to see if any of my supply houses can get them.

Edit: The picture of the Neer C-510 looks like it just has one screw but the description says it is a 2 screw. The one I have is only 1 screw.

Could it be a greenfield connector? If I remember correctly, some 3/8 greenfield connectors are OK for MC. 1/2 is too large altogether.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I think Arlington makes a snap in connector that can be released with a set screw.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Could it be a greenfield connector? If I remember correctly, some 3/8 greenfield connectors are OK for MC. 1/2 is too large altogether.

No, it said for MC cable. I personally feel they mislabeled them. But I have since found some connectors that work. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.