the "i know how" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmreschke

Got a guy here who when you go to tell him what to do taskwise cuts you off and says ok I know how to do it. Than he argues about the way to do it citing code only says I gotta do this much so why do more. What do you guys normally do about this guy?

Gac66610

Got a guy here who when you go to tell him what to do taskwise cuts you off and says ok I know how to do it. Than he argues about the way to do it citing code only says I gotta do this much so why do more. What do you guys normally do about this guy?

Tell him you know that this is all that is required by code

then tell him you want it done better than code

if he won't comply .... see post #2

John120/240

How old is this guy ? How many years experience does he have ? Every job seems to have

at least one like this. Explain "I am the boss or supervisor, it needs to be done like this"

It is my way or the hiway, don't let the door hit you on the way out

templdl

Simple, it looks as if there is someone who needs to be reminded who signs his paycheck. If he's that good I'm sure that someone else would be more than happy to hire this know it all.

cmreschke

Just the foreman not an owner. Can't fire him can only recommend it. Boss likes them kinda guys. He is fortyish with sixteen years in trade. I'm 32 with fifteen in trade. I'm a master he's a journeyman. I've heard it all though and normally win my battles. I am just venting is all. The best was "i don't care about your license or status here I'm your elder and deserve the respect of an elder. Lmao.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

sometimes i have a spin on something that needs to be done,
that works well, sometimes i don't, but to me, part of the deal
is there is an exchange of ideas about something.

one of the better foremen i've worked for put it this way....
"nine times out of ten, you come up with a good to awesome
way to do it, and the tenth time, you screw it up and spin in a
circle with one foot nailed down. my job is to come over on
that tenth time, and kick you in the ass to get you out of the
rut."

this is just me, but if i'm simply told "just do it my way, 'cause
i'm the boss." we probably aren't gonna have a warm and fuzzy
working relationship... on the other hand, when the conversation
goes like you describing it going, it's the same thing, but in reverse.

it amounts to "do it my way 'cause i'm a better sparky than you".

if they are capable, i give them a job off by themselves, and let them
do it, without any distractions. if they do it their way and screw it up,
we talk about it, and if they still have the know it all attitude, i ask
for them to be sent off to share their wisdom elsewhere.

i've had five people that i couldn't work with, in over 30 years,
so i'm not as ornery as i come off... and only one of those, if i
crossed paths with him, would i pick up a 3' stick of pipe.

and i'd only pick up a piece of pipe, if there wasn't a shotgun
handy... we didn't get along very well.

Buck Parrish

Every person is different it's up to the supervisor to place people where they will be most productive. However I think this works best on large projects.
When I was supervising a large project we had a guy like that, he was a perfectionist, which slowed him down.
He was a friend, so I didn't want to get rid of him. Then it occured to me that we had lots of work that would be exposed. He was not afraid of heights, could read prints fine and you didn't have to worry about it being crooked.
So I put him UP in the gymnasium and then UP in the theater. Never had to worry about those projects.

But obviously if you don't have an area you can place him to fit his abilities. you may have to get rid of him.
A small company needs an all around type of person. Just like you, or me. But we will never get two of our selves.

growler

Got a guy here who when you go to tell him what to do taskwise cuts you off and says ok I know how to do it.

Boss likes them kinda guys. He is fortyish with sixteen years in trade. I'm 32 with fifteen in trade. I'm a master he's a journeyman.

The way I figure it if a man is 40+ with sixteen years in the trade and getting journeyman pay he had better know what he's doing.

If the boss likes his work and we are working under the boss's license and his work meets code then that's good enough for me.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I only give out hand drawings if I have a way I need it done; other wise it is JW choice. I also do not tell them why all the time, I will if I feel they need to know. I do tell them that this part must be done this way for later pipes. Even if that isn't why, it keeps them from wasting time over thinking; what about that change order I put in that will fit on the rack later etc..

cowboyjwc

Staff member

I don't know, he's my boss, what can I do?:huh:

Strife

If the boss likes his work and we are working under the boss's license and his work meets code then that's good enough for me.

Yeah, but the boss won't chew his'her behind when the job comes over in hrs.
Guess who? The foreman.

Status
Not open for further replies.