Toaster Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

al

Noticing that my toast was burning I went to flip the lever up---but wait-- as I am looking at the glowing elements I realize that my hand is in the limited approach boundary, so I cannot do this. So I go to grab the cord plug and realize that if I pull it out my hand will be very close to an energized blade so I cannot do this. So then I go down to the basement and unscrew the fuse. Back upstairs and find out my toast is completely burnt. Then I determine that if I screw the fuse back in and make a new piece of toast my hand will be in the limited approach boundry when I push the lever down. Hmmmm. I have decided to move to the country and by a wood stove, no electricity. I will then be several miles from the limited approach boundary.

renosteinke

It is obvious you are using the wrong appliance. Here's how to make toast:

Donning appropriate PPE, open some switchgear and attach some hardware to the internals, using magnets placed on the outside of the gear.

Hang bread in an appropriate area.

Close the gear doors.

Remove the magnets.

After the arc flash is complete, open gear and remove toast.

Close gear and remove PPE. Bon Apetite!

mivey

It is obvious you are using the wrong appliance. Here's how to make toast:
Alternative:
Find a house with aluminum wiring or knob & tube.

Suspend bread just outside.

You won't have long to wait as the house is about to burn down.

Voil?! Toast!

renosteinke

Mivey, I resemble that remark! My place is K&T, from the 30's ... and largely untouched (until I started messing with it). The place has lots of faults - what do you expect when the house AND property listed for less than $2K - but fire damage isn't one of them!

Then again, those lazy, cheap prior owners did miss out on the great aluminum wiring fad of the early 70's. Maybe the old ways are worth preserving. :D

muskrat

Did an Elect. presentation to some Boyscouts a while back (with instructions to NOT DO THIS AT HOME OR THIS COULD BE YOU) Hooked 2-16d nails bent in a 90 to one side each of a 120 v. circuit and put a hotdog in between the nails. Now we have lunch.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Hooked 2-16d nails bent in a 90 to one side each of a 120 v. circuit and put a hotdog in between the nails. Now we have lunch.
In the 70's you could buy a listed appliance that worked like this.
Ours could do 5 dogs at once. It was real neat to split a dog partway, then you could watch the arcing from one half to the other.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Photdogger1.jpg

You can see the prongs that stab the dog ends.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Photdogger1.jpg

You can see the prongs that stab the dog ends.

Yowza!!

If I see what I think I see, one row of prongs would be bare metal at 120 volts!

I wonder how many people got shocked by using that contraption.

ON EDIT:

OK, it seems the thing is a bit safer than I thought. There is little or no chance of the exposed metal being energized due to the design of the cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St2USEfQxZU

Last edited:

brian john

Ours could do 5 dogs at once. It was real neat to split a dog partway, then you could watch the arcing from one half to the other.

And Joe Namath hawked it.

I worked on a job were the guys made one out of nails and 20 amp CB they would just plug it in at lunch. I have not eaten a hot dog in 40 years, so I never sampled the electrocuted weenies.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Did an Elect. presentation to some Boyscouts a while back (with instructions to NOT DO THIS AT HOME OR THIS COULD BE YOU) Hooked 2-16d nails bent in a 90 to one side each of a 120 v. circuit and put a hotdog in between the nails. Now we have lunch.

One of the local POCO has a trailer with safety demonstrations presentations they bring to fairs and other public events. They cook hot dogs with 7200 volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.