Polaris taps in tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I had an inspection on some mechanical equipment yesterday. I re-engineered the secondaries as per equipment not matching engineered plans. I looked at Ilsco, Burndy and NSI for lugs that would work for four #6's with no luck.(Bending radius and clearance issues)

My EI was OK with this but the Chief was questioning this install. He did not return my call, but I got word through my EI that the Chief would "Let it slide this time."

Can anyone tell me if they see an issue with 90?C taps in here?

Thank you.

DSCN1752.jpg

iwire

Staff member
You have a violation, you cannot 'tap' a 'tap'.

You need some four barrel lugs that will take the four 6s directly on the transformer tabs.

chris kennedy

Occupation
Why is there no EGC run in the conduit on the 120/208V side? Looks like another violation to me. :confused:

Its there, passes under HO and lands on the right side of the double lug on the can under the writing. And yes, that lug is mounted as per 250.12. (before Peter questions that):grin:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Bob,
Based on the definition in 240.2, is the larger conductor a tap ?
(no OCP)

Barring you educating me again, I don't see the violation. It seems a pretty ingenious method of accomplishing the task.

iwire

Staff member
I think it is ingenious,, very likely perfectly safe and reliable.
But (IMO) 240.21(C) requires all those 6 AWGs to terminate directly to the transformer secondaries not to secondary conductors.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
But (IMO) 240.21(C) requires all those 6 AWGs to terminate directly to the transformer secondaries not to secondary conductors.
I agree.

The single conductor leaving the transformer pad is a tap all by itself. It must be protected under the rules of 240.21(C). The connection of the multiple conductors create a 'tap of a tap'.

But, the concept is okay. If the multiple conductors had been the same size as the single conductor, the installation would be acceptable

chris kennedy

Occupation
OK, good. ;)

Now what's the deal with the parallel #6's and where do they end up?

The secondaries in each conduit land on 2 each, total of 4 fusible safety switches.

I don't see anything in 240.21(C) that prohibits this. In fact if you read 240.2 I don't see how the secondary bus's meet the definition of tap conductors???

iwire

Staff member
I don't see anything in 240.21(C) that prohibits this.

It says transformer secondary, not transformer secondary conductors but Jim explained it better than I have.

In fact if you read 240.2 I don't see how the secondary bus's meet the definition of tap conductors???

Not the bus but any conductor you connect to the bus is a tap conductor.

Gotta run by the fishmongers, I will be back soon .... :)

chris kennedy

Occupation
Why the pink and not orange?

Its purple, I use orange for 110.15 installs.

Since when can you cut out individual openings in the XFMR bottom and install some chicken wire over the holes?
Its hardware cloth and vinyl screen. Hardware cloth has 2 coats of paint on both sides. The holes were cut while I was out of town and thats the best I could do to fix it. All PVC so basically just vermin mitigation.

Gotta run by the fishmongers, I will be back soon .... :)

If the Cod is fresh can you pick me up 2lbs and I'll be happy to pay you on Tuesday?

Status
Not open for further replies.