Which voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I love Chinese junk. :roll:

A customer bought a new Panini press

IMG_20150313_090851_538.jpg

They sent us a picture of a tag on the cord that states it is to be connected to 230-240 volts.

IMG_20150313_122306.jpg

They have 208 in the building, we figure a buck boost and I head out to do the job. Then I see the equipment in person. :rant:

IMG_20150313_090920_082.jpg

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Although they're called buck boost transformers to begin with, I've always felt once you've decided what your going to do with it, it should be called by it's proper name not both.

With that being said, sell them on the "Boost" transformer,,,,, it will heat up quicker.:)

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
Although they're called buck boost transformers to begin with, I've always felt once you've decided what your going to do with it, it should be called by it's proper name not both.

With that being said, sell them on the "Boost" transformer,,,,, it will heat up quicker.:)

JAP>
Proper name is autotransformer:p

iwire

Staff member
I say sell them on the buck and boost since it will heat up faster. :)

I have leaned to be wise.

This store is part of a chain and before I offered to add a buck boost I asked if this was the same unit used in each store. They said yes. To the best of my knowledge none of the other stores had a buck boost for them.

I looked at the directions and the temprture knob does not give degrees, just numbers. They may just have to run it at a higher number than they would have at 240.

As far as speed to reach the operating temp ......... that should not be a problem. When I work nights I often find the kitchen equipment left on 24/7 from bakery ovens to convection ovens to grills. The only thing that seems to always get shut off are the deep fryers.

iwire

Staff member
Proper name is autotransformer:p

Good man!

I bet if I called my supply house and asked for an autotransformer they would tell me to call an auto parts warehouse.

I can't speak for any other area but around here buck boost is the term to use if you want to be understood. If you want to look up the rules in the NEC that is when you need to know they are autotransformers.

Besoeker

I bet if I called my supply house and asked for an autotransformer they would tell me to call an auto parts warehouse.

I can't speak for any other area but around here buck boost is the term to use if you want to be understood. If you want to look up the rules in the NEC that is when you need to know they are autotransformers.
But I'm just a foreigner..........:)

jap

Occupation
Electrician

Same here.

Jap>

Status
Not open for further replies.