Underground wires for packaged spa

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikaholic51

I want to install my spa partially underground. I plan on pouring a concrete vault that is larger than the spa allowing access for maintenance. The self contained packaged spa will sit inside this concrete box and a surface deck above ground making easier access to the spa.
#1. Should the steel in the concrete be bonded and grounded.

#2. This box will be about 2 ft deep. The service entrance conductors will be running under this concrete box. Does the concrete act as protection for the Cable or will I need to contact the utility to relocate these cables away from the tub. The conductors are direct burial so it is not feasible to install them in a Conduit.

Thanks for you help on this. I just found this site and love it. Wish I would have found it years ago. I normally do Commercial work so residential spas and pools are not my forte. :confused:

jusme123

Occupation
JW
680.6 grounding

680.10 underground wiring location

***680.42 leads to 680.26- equipotential bonding

Last edited:

bikaholic51

I have read both of these articles before I posted. Maybe I should be a little clearer on my question. Since Article 680.10 indicated wire can be located under the Spa if it is enclosed in conduit. I was wondering that since we are going to pour a concrete surround for the hot tub would that Concrete surround constitute the protection that the conduit is going to provide for the direct buried cables. If the answer is yes to this part should we bond the wire in the concrete? Article 680.6 does not reference this situation. The cables are direct buried service entrance conductors so it would be a rather large job to get the utility to come in and relocate. It is not feasible at this time to move the location of the spa due to the design of the deck and patio. :-?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Bike Man, I would call the utility as they are not going to want there wires under the tub-- no way. If they ever go bad you would not have access to them. Second I would put an EPB in the concrete pad that the tub sits on as described in the alternate means in 680.26(B)(2)

raider1

Staff member
I have read both of these articles before I posted. Maybe I should be a little clearer on my question. Since Article 680.10 indicated wire can be located under the Spa if it is enclosed in conduit. I was wondering that since we are going to pour a concrete surround for the hot tub would that Concrete surround constitute the protection that the conduit is going to provide for the direct buried cables.
I would say NO, the conductors must be in a conduit to less than 5' from the edge of the pool in accordance with 680.10

If the answer is yes to this part should we bond the wire in the concrete? Article 680.6 does not reference this situation. The cables are direct buried service entrance conductors so it would be a rather large job to get the utility to come in and relocate. It is not feasible at this time to move the location of the spa due to the design of the deck and patio. :-?

You will have to move the location of the spa.

Chris

Split Bolt

#2. This box will be about 2 ft deep. The service entrance conductors will be running under this concrete box. Does the concrete act as protection for the Cable or will I need to contact the utility to relocate these cables away from the tub. The conductors are direct burial so it is not feasible to install them in a Conduit.

When I first read this, the word "cable" jumped-out at me. If I'm not mistaken, it MUST be in conduit.

Jim W in Tampa

Your not likely to get poco to move without paying hefty $$$$$$
They can not be within 5 feet in all directions.
Find a better location. Also hope your doing something to drain this box.

Split Bolt

Sorry, I didn't notice that the OP said that the Service Entrance Cables will be running underneath. I thought the spa was being fed from underneath! Disregard my previous comment...If you haven't already!:)

BTW: Not to be a smart aleck, but Bikaholoic51, you used the term "cables" instead of conductors. That's what threw me off!:D

dhelming

I have located where it states that underground electrical wiring can not be within 5 ft of a pool in Article 680.10 but where does it state that about a hottub.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Hot tubs are covered in part IV that says they have to follow parts I and IV. Part I is all about pools.

Mark

jusme123

Occupation
JW
I agree with Dennis, I also missed the part of direct burial service

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.