Code Violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profish00

attachment.php

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Can't tell if that's EMT for certain with GEC and bonding jumper, but if so, yes a violation. Both ends of the conduits need bonded to the conductor contained therein.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Agree, if it's metallic, 250.64(E) and the clamp, if rated for ground rods, is reverse of the way they are designed for rod installation {110.3(B)}

Cavie

Not a requirement of the NEC.

See 2008 250.53 (G). .......................The upper end of the electrode shall be flush with or below ground level unless the grounding electrode conductor attachment are protected from physical damage as specified in 250.10.

Kinda like the sch 80 pvc protection nonsence.

radiopet

FYI -Also appears the clamp on ground rod is installed incorrectly.[110.3(B)] I can't 100% tell but it appears that it needs to be flipped around so the NIPS are against the rod.

dana1028

As an electrical inspector I would not hassle this person because the ground rod was ~2" above grade; placed where it is I feel it is protected enough from probable damage.

I agree with the 250.64(E)....but there is also the 250.70 issue...that pipe clamp used on the rod has zinc screws - thus is not rated for direct burial....because it is outdoor and at grade the zinc screws do rust through [at least they do in my area]. If these screws were stainless there would be a tag on the fitting.

hurk27

As an electrical inspector I would not hassle this person because the ground rod was ~2" above grade; placed where it is I feel it is protected enough from probable damage.

I agree with the 250.64(E)....but there is also the 250.70 issue...that pipe clamp used on the rod has zinc screws - thus is not rated for direct burial....because it is outdoor and at grade the zinc screws do rust through [at least they do in my area]. If these screws were stainless there would be a tag on the fitting.

The issue with an 8' rod is not because of the exposed part might be damaged, it is because code states it must have 8' in contact with Earth 250.53(G), and I agree with the plated screws, but I have seen many of those clamps coming with stainless steel screws lately, and mark DB, I still prefer to see an acorn clamp instead, a water pipe clamp whether DB rated or not is easily knocked off or loosened, but a acorn clamp will take a beating before coming off.

dana1028

The issue with an 8' rod is not because of the exposed part might be damaged, it is because code states it must have 8' in contact with Earth 250.53(G).

I agree...that's what the code says....but here's the Catch-22:

If a guy buries the rod 8' [thus the acorn is below grade] then an inspector wants him to dig it up to see the connection...so typically [in our area] the ECs leave the rod a few inches above grade [as long as it is protected from damage] so they are not hassled by the inspectors.

In our area it is common for a replacement/ service upgrade to be done in one day...EC calls for inspection and has homeowner stand the inspection...these are simple jobs with not a lot that can go wrong....they leave the rod a couple inches above grade for inspection purposes....job is done....signed off...and they don't have to stand the inspection or return [1 day in-and-out]....if everything goes well [no violations...other than the 2"]...job is done.

As an electrician I install rods below grade and have it open for inspection and stand the inspection...but since the above is common practice, as an inspector, I don't hassle the EC for leaving it above grade.

muskrat

Minor detail but looks like mobile/modular home and skirting might be applied. Installer could disconnect bond lug to get out of the way so no longer connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.