Code Compliant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The following story takes place in Oakland, CA....where PG&E is the service provider. So, we went and looked at a job where the homeowner wanted a service change, he wanted an estimate and another electrician had already looked at it. The existing service was a bit to the right of the gas meter's house line and local code says it needs 10" clearance from the meter...which was fine because I'm sure the code was different when it was originally put in, but he wanted to get the mast off of his trellis...so he wanted to move it. He wanted to move it to an adjacent wall....problem being, that whole wall was in the area of the gas meter....with no way to get the proper clearance ( 36" from utility side ( vent ) and 10' from house side ). So we suggested putting it on the other side of the house. He grumbled and said that the other electrician said that he could put it right above the gas meter. We laughed. We didn't get the job. i drove by there today and saw that there was a new service and took this picture. Chalk it up to experience, or lack thereof.

M. D.

I hate when stuff like that happens ,... You hate to hope the place burns to the ground,.. empty of people ,..pets and plants of course:D

Jim W in Tampa

The following story takes place in Oakland, CA....where PG&E is the service provider. So, we went and looked at a job where the homeowner wanted a service change, he wanted an estimate and another electrician had already looked at it. The existing service was a bit to the right of the gas meter's house line and local code says it needs 10" clearance from the meter...which was fine because I'm sure the code was different when it was originally put in, but he wanted to get the mast off of his trellis...so he wanted to move it. He wanted to move it to an adjacent wall....problem being, that whole wall was in the area of the gas meter....with no way to get the proper clearance ( 36" from utility side ( vent ) and 10' from house side ). So we suggested putting it on the other side of the house. He grumbled and said that the other electrician said that he could put it right above the gas meter. We laughed. We didn't get the job. i drove by there today and saw that there was a new service and took this picture. Chalk it up to experience, or lack thereof.

I would take that picture to the chief electrical inspector. This would burn my a-- to lose the job to a guy that does not care about code. And then sit back and see what they do. If nothing file a law suit.

charlie

For what it is worth, it looks like it is 36" from the gas meter. NFPA 54 requires 36" and it is measured radially just like the Class I, Div 1 area around a gasoline storage tank open end of vent, extending in all directions. :)

physis

I'm gonna say something really stupid and I know I'm gonna hear quite a bit about it, BUT, of course everyone knew that was coming, (I mean the word but) I don't see a hazard. Can someone point to one for me?

Last edited:

TOOL_5150

I see that all the time. PG&E doesnt care. I prefer to keep the service at least 3' away from the gas -if possible. However, I dont see any blue seals on it.... ya think he pulled a permit?

~Matt

physis

I don't know, gas, military, electrical, political, water, inlaws, dry rot.

I'd like to see some pictures that actually scare me, beacause this one doesn't.

Sorry, I have no doubt that building will be there through the rest of my life, unless speculators get to it.

Maybe there's something that's actually dangerous someplace?

Last edited:

TOOL_5150

If it's a new service or meter panel he did.

Unless he disconnected and reconnected himself.

come on. youre from the SF bay area.. you know how many trunk slammers we have around here. I see non POCO splices on drops with no tags on the meters all the time.

~Matt

M. D.

For what it is worth, it looks like it is 36" from the gas meter. NFPA 54 requires 36" and it is measured radially just like the Class I, Div 1 area around a gasoline storage tank open end of vent, extending in all directions. :)

I thought the O.P. mentioned a local code of 10' ??? ,..seems silly ...and you know what I say ,...When a rule is perceived as silly ,..enforcement becomes whimsical.:smile:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I was always told it was 3 feet min. Assumed it was measured horizontal. I still dont like idea of that regulator being that close to something that can spark.

save your concern, at least it's outside..... :) If you just have to worry, what about that electric motor on the gas stove :D

physis

come on. youre from the SF bay area.. you know how many trunk slammers we have around here. I see non POCO splices on drops with no tags on the meters all the time.

~Matt

I know it happens but I haven't seen it too many times.

iwire

Staff member
No one mentioned 110.26

No one mentioned 110.26

Looks to me to be a 110.26(A)(2) and 110.26(A)(3) violation.

attachment.php

physis

oh sure enough. Guess I was blind yesterday. Since there is a seal on it, whats the big deal? Obviously city of oakland and PG&E dont care.

~Matt

The power company doesn't care. It's outside their perview. This issue belongs to the municipality. You know, the people who gave the power company the OK to connect.

If I might be so bold, the reason it was allowed is either because the inspector is blind or there is nothing dangerous about it.

Now we can let the lashings begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.