Location help with range receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

An aquaintance is renovating his kitchen and I am handling all the electrical needs. The installation manual on one of his ranges:

http://www.subzero-wolf.com/~/media... wolf/installation guides/wolf/dfrange ig.pdf

shows on page 6 the area behind the stove in which the receptacle is to be. The dedicated height is only 3.25". On page 4 it states the box should be flush in the wall or floor. How would you install this receptacle? Typically I'd use a two gang but that would likely put me higher than the alloted 3.25" even if mounted on the 2x4 plate in the wall.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Generally I have used a surface recep. and turned it sideways and I have not had an issue. Personally I would wait for the unit to get there to be safe

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
You can hardwire it and place a lock device at the breaker and be safe.
I would bet that since there seems to be no drawer to interfere with , It would also be safe to surface mount a range box on the floor or at the bottom of the wall.

iwire

Staff member
Typically I'd use a two gang

A personal choice for sure but when I have to flush mount a 30 -50 amp outlet I use a 4-11/16" deep box with an appropriate depth two gang plaster ring. I also make sure the box is well supported so when I am trying to jamb the outlet into the box it does not move.

Is you where to cut the bottom plate out, mount the box against the sub floor and put the plaster ring on horizontally you should be below the 3.75" with the receptacle and plug.

mark32

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll cut the plate and use a deep 1900 or 4 11/16. I probably won't be there when the appliances are delivered and this stove apparently weighs over 600lbs so I don't think I'll have any time to fiddle around with the receptacle placement.

ceknight

......shows on page 6 the area behind the stove in which the receptacle is to be. The dedicated height is only 3.25". On page 4 it states the box should be flush in the wall or floor. How would you install this receptacle? Typically I'd use a two gang but that would likely put me higher than the alloted 3.25" even if mounted on the 2x4 plate in the wall.

I installed one of those recently. Situation probably wasn't like yours -- old house, no plate, studs go to subfloor, so the stud bay's 3/4 lower than the finished hardwood floor. I used a 4x4 w/ nailing flange, mounted flush with finished wall. Trimmed out just enough of the hardwood to accommodate the raised outlet cover jutting into the finished space, assembled it all, then screwed the box to the subfloor.

Future servicing will require cutting the sheetrock to unmount the box before you can take the cover off, but so it goes. It's accessible. :)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I installed one of those recently. Situation probably wasn't like yours -- old house, no plate, studs go to subfloor, so the stud bay's 3/4 lower than the finished hardwood floor. I used a 4x4 w/ nailing flange, mounted flush with finished wall. Trimmed out just enough of the hardwood to accommodate the raised outlet cover jutting into the finished space, assembled it all, then screwed the box to the subfloor.

Future servicing will require cutting the sheetrock to unmount the box before you can take the cover off, but so it goes. It's accessible. :)
I thought that if you have to remove part of the building finish (Sheetrock) for access it was not accessible?

ceknight

I thought that if you have to remove part of the building finish (Sheetrock) for access it was not accessible?

You can take a pry bar to the outlet box and bend it back just enough to remove that corner screw if you're desperate enough. And if you just moved a 1/4+ ton stove, you're probably desperate enough. :)

I contemplated leaving that corner screw off, but like Bob one of my pet peeves is appliance outlets that move when you use them.

mark32

The working dimensions are pretty tight.

It maybe easier to mount this horizontally at the base of the wall.

View attachment 11599

I like those, better than a separate box, device, and cover, mainly because I can just fold the conductors into those lugs as opposed to trying to bend them just so to terminate them into a receptacle and get them to hopefully bend back into the box nicely. That's what I thought of when Dennis mentioned mounting something horizontally on the surface. Just don't know if there's enough of a recess in this stove for it. The appliance won't be onsite until I'm done.

480sparky

By the specs, it looks like there won't be room for a surface - mount recep.

I'd install a 232 box and an appropriate mud ring. Trim with a standard range or dryer recep and flush cover.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I like those, better than a separate box, device, and cover, mainly because I can just fold the conductors into those lugs as opposed to trying to bend them just so to terminate them into a receptacle and get them to hopefully bend back into the box nicely. That's what I thought of when Dennis mentioned mounting something horizontally on the surface. Just don't know if there's enough of a recess in this stove for it. The appliance won't be onsite until I'm done.

You should have space under the stove, otherwise where will the appliance cord go. At any case you do have some space top surface mount the mentioned receptacle:

View attachment 11600

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
The directions specify flush mount.

Even though the directions specify flush mount, the drawing shows a working distance of 2.25" from the wall. Besides the stove sits on 4 legs so the bottom is open.

The drawings specify tight dimensions, but in reality you will have a bit more space than specified.

The installer can always mount the box in the floor and make a floor flush receptacle.

On a second note,

if you do cut the bottom plate you need to make sure the flooring people don't butt their flooring against your finish plate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.