Are you allowed to drill through a laminate beam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

I was always told never to. But then I remember something about only towards the ends of it?

Also can you recommend books a electrician must have besides the NEC, IBC?

Thank you.

kwired

Electron manager
In general no, if you feel you must you need to find out from manufacturer or structural engineer where or if you can drill it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't see why a laminate beam is so much different then the old method of pancaking 3 2x10 together to make a beam. We always drilled them.

We had one in a garage and the plumber and I each needed to dill a 3/4" hole to get across to the other side. I called the engineer and he said go at it. It depends on the size etc. I always try and drill them over a wall so there are no big issues.

S'mise

My 2 cents

My 2 cents

I agree that contacting the manufacture or an Eng.is prudent. I always heard it's ok to drill towards the outside 1/3 of the span. Do not drill in the middle. Also avoid drilling or notching the top 1/3 of a joist. It weakens the tensile strenth.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I don't see why a laminate beam is so much different then the old method of pancaking 3 2x10 together to make a beam. We always drilled them.

We had one in a garage and the plumber and I each needed to dill a 3/4" hole to get across to the other side. I called the engineer and he said go at it. It depends on the size etc. I always try and drill them over a wall so there are no big issues.

It is not much different - you have to be careful where you drill either one or you will weaken it, same with truss frame members.

sometimes you can drill almost anyplace you want if the hole is not too large

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
It is not much different - you have to be careful where you drill either one or you will weaken it, same with truss frame members.

sometimes you can drill almost anyplace you want if the hole is not too large

I would never drill a standard truss-- very different animal.

But then I remember something about only towards the ends of it?

The rule of thumb with conventional beams is that it is ok to drill within the outer 2/3 of a span and never to drill in the middle third lengthwise, keeping in mind to drill from the center heightwise as well.

For laminated, as others have said - no drilling - go around.

There are those semi laminated "I" beams though where it is ok. The top and bottom of the "I" are laminated and therefore they can't be drilled but the vertical part comes with pre-punched knockouts that can be bashed out with a hammer.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
When they first came out we had to have a PE sign off on drilling through one.

We all know know that they are more stable that regular lumber. So it was just not allowed to 'alter' them in the beginning.

Here is one example of how and where to drill. PP 36.

http://www.ilevel.com/literature/TJ-9000.pdf

You should note that the drilling point(s) are different than dimensional lumber. The 1/3 and 1/3 rule.

You can drill a I-truss not a 'normal' lumber truss.

Again you must know the manufacture to know where to drill or notch.

stevebea

I was always told never to. But then I remember something about only towards the ends of it?

Also can you recommend books a electrician must have besides the NEC, IBC?

Thank you.

As long as you stay out of the middle 1/3 have at it...... I questioned an inspector on this issue and it is not a problem. If you drill multiple holes I believe they can be no closer than 2" apart. A manufactured truss would be an issue. Drill a hole and you could be paying for an engineer to make a recommendation.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
As long as you stay out of the middle 1/3 have at it...... I questioned an inspector on this issue and it is not a problem. If you drill multiple holes I believe they can be no closer than 2" apart. A manufactured truss would be an issue. Drill a hole and you could be paying for an engineer to make a recommendation.

You should look at my link.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Thanks for the pdf. I stand corrected, a laminated beam and a TJI joist are two different beasts.

You are welcome. It is unbelievable what the I-joist can hold.

When I build every one of my headers was an LVL. Every one of my studs were LSLs.

These are great products. Pricey? Yes! But you save it on labor. They are all perfect.

When they first came out we had to have a PE sign off on drilling through one.

We all know know that they are more stable that regular lumber. So it was just not allowed to 'alter' them in the beginning.

Here is one example of how and where to drill. PP 36.

http://www.ilevel.com/literature/TJ-9000.pdf

You should note that the drilling point(s) are different than dimensional lumber. The 1/3 and 1/3 rule.

You can drill a I-truss not a 'normal' lumber truss.

Again you must know the manufacture to know where to drill or notch.

Here is another one: http://www.rosboro.com/pdfs/S560E.pdf

It would be good to include this type information in apprentice courses.

kwired

Electron manager
Are you allowed to drill through colums?

They would have different requirements than a horizontal beam, of the same material and size. Would also depend on how much if any lateral movement the column is expected to be able to withstand. The distribution of the load being supported is different than with the horizontal beam.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Here is a basic illustration that can be used.
ry%3D480

renosteinke

Why guess when you can get the real answer so easily?

www.apawood.org

These folks are the trade group for the lumber industry, and have all manner of free downloads regarding the various 'manufacturered' wood products. I suspect what you have is called a 'glulam.' There will be information there as to where you may drill them.

It can be a real eye-opener, since different products have differing rules. For example, the above artwork appears to be for ordinary lumber - while glulams and TJI's (wood I-beams) have VERY different rules.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.