45 KVA transformer max amperage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besoeker

Load should always be determined in KVA. Amps means nothing until you size the conductors and select the breaker size.

If you put all the load on a single phase of a three phase panel, add up the total KVA of that phase, multiply by 3, you will get the minimum size of your 3-phase transformer.
Which contradicts this from post #3:

What matters is only the total KVA of the loads.

That's the point I was getting at.

lemming

For a wye:
VLine = ?3 VPhase = ?3 * 120V = 207.84V rounded to 208V, which produces the insignificant error in debate.

So there is no error. Rounding to 3 significant figures means you are within 0.1% of answer.

For line voltages:
kVA = ?3 VLine ILine

For phase voltages:
kVA = 3 VPhase IPhase

So ?3 * ?3 = 3. Hard to argue with basic math. :happyyes:
Personally I'd go with line quantities, since they are more general than phase quantities. You don't need to know how it is connected inside.

To answer question:
kVA =
?3 VLine ILine
ILine = kVA / ?3 VLine = 45 kVA / ?3 208V = 125A
ILine = kVA / ?3 VLine = 75 kVA / ?3 208V = 208A

So 45 kVA is a no go.

at123

load current calculation

load current calculation

Is it correct to say that for a three-phase 45 kva transformer, the load on each one of 3 lines going to the electrical panel should not exceed 80 Amps ?

If the load is properly balanced, this will produce maximum 120 Amps at 208 V ( 43 kVA ) or 240 Amps at 110 V ( 45 kVA )

kwired

Electron manager
Is it correct to say that for a three-phase 45 kva transformer, the load on each one of 3 lines going to the electrical panel should not exceed 80 Amps ?

If the load is properly balanced, this will produce maximum 120 Amps at 208 V ( 43 kVA ) or 240 Amps at 110 V ( 45 kVA )

45000/208/1.732=124.91A That means each line is rated for a net of 125 amps, whether it be a 125 amp three phase load, 125 amp 208 volt load, a 125 amp 120 volt load, or a combination of any of those that results in up to 125 on any one leg maximum. If you go higher then 125 the transformer will likey still supply the load but will see increased heating that may end up leading to a failure at some point.

at123

45000/208/1.732=124.91A That means each line is rated for a net of 125 amps, whether it be a 125 amp three phase load, 125 amp 208 volt load, a 125 amp 120 volt load, or a combination of any of those that results in up to 125 on any one leg maximum. If you go higher then 125 the transformer will likey still supply the load but will see increased heating that may end up leading to a failure at some point.

Does it mean, if properly balanced a 45 kVA three-phase transformer can supply a whopping 375 Amps at 120 volts ?
This will affect the panel size I choose.
This is a lot of current for a relatively small transformer.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Does it mean, if properly balanced a 45 kVA three-phase transformer can supply a whopping 375 Amps at 120 volts ?
375 x 120 = 45,000

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It's 125A maximum per Line. Panel rating is per Line.

Besoeker

It doesn't. Read again what kwired posted:

Line current is 125A maximum. The 120V is derived from line to neutral. You simply cannot do what you appear to have done (375*120=45000).
I don't know if this helps or hinders....
Think of it as three 120V 15kVA transformers connected in a WYE (Star) configuration. Each transformer can deliver 15000/120 = 125A.

Tony S

I like an easy life.

45KVA%20208-120_zpshbxtx1pt.png

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Line current is 125A maximum. The 120V is derived from line to neutral. You simply cannot do what you appear to have done (375*120=45000).
I posted the 375*120=45000.

He asked that if he used balanced loads, could he supply 375 amps of 120 volt loads? I assumed by balanced, he meant equal loads on each phase.

Besoeker

I posted the 375*120=45000.

He asked that if he used balanced loads, could he supply 375 amps of 120 volt loads? I assumed by balanced, he meant equal loads on each phase.
Yes, I saw both posts.
The answer is still that you can't.
Maximum line current is 125A regardless of load configuration. Balanced or otherwise.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yes, I saw both posts.
Maximum line current is 125A regardless of load configuration. Balanced or otherwise.
He can put 125 amps line to neutral load on each of the 3 phases. That is what I understand balanced means.

at123

Yes, I saw both posts.

Besoeker, I don't understand your argument. You agree that each line can supply up to 125A. Hypothetically, if all circuits in a panel are single-phase, all three lines are connected line-to-neutral, which permits drawing upto 375A. Am I missing something ?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Besoeker, I don't understand your argument. You agree that each line can supply up to 125A. Hypothetically, if all circuits in a panel are single-phase, all three lines are connected line-to-neutral, which permits drawing upto 375A. Am I missing something ?

Post #30 suggests that you might be missing something.

Why do you think its a lot of current for a relatively small transformer? That's what the transformer is rated for (45kVA.)

And why would it affect the panel size you chose? The panel size could be the same if you were supply a balanced 45kVA of all single phase 120v loads or if you were supplying a single balanced 45kVA 208V three phase load.

Status
Not open for further replies.