Your Input on Changes to The Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I can tell you that won't happen; many of those guests are likely searchbots that send this Forum higher on search engines, which benefits the forum. We can deal with the riff-raff as it comes.

Keep 'em coming, fellas. :)

Yeah that would be a real shame. I think it would drastically cut down on new members. I would never sign up for a forum without being able to read through post to see what was offered. And of course without the forum I would have never known about Mike's great product and the subsequent many purchases would never have happened. :)

tkb

I have 2 things:

1) Require all registered members to show their city & state so that their questions may be more accurately answered.

2) Require all readers of the forum to be registered. This forum is for trade professionals, by trade processionals and we typically and rightfully close threads from DIYers, why not be sure that those guests reading the forums, and possibly using or mis-using information found here are indeed somehow related to the trade. (Right now, there are currently 370 users online. 29 members and 341 guests). That's a lot of guests.

I agree with #1, but do not agree with #2.

Whenever I come across a forum that requires membership before you can see any posts, I pass on it and move to another one.

tkb

Does anyone see a word duplicated here?

"money money" ?

If so, please reply with your OS and browser.

Yes I do.
XP and IE 8

I didn't realize there was a link. No I didn't see the work repeated.

Another thing that should be fixed is that the links are hard to see. They aren't underlined and blend in with the rest of the text and background color.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
I didn't realize there was a link. No I didn't see the work repeated.

Another thing that should be fixed is that the links are hard to see. They aren't underlined and blend in with the rest of the text and background color.

I agree and it just seems so obvious to me to make the background white.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I agree and it just seems so obvious to me to make the background white.
I don't understand this comment, Bob. On my screen, the background is white. Is it different on your screen? If so, I can't imagine what reason there would be for the difference. :confused:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
My #1 gripe, and it really, really bothers me, is this. Sometimes, when I want to "reply with quote," the system will break the quotation into two or more separate sections. I go back and delete the "end quote command" and the "start quote command" that the system artificially inserted in the middle of the quotation. These two commands are what caused the post to show two separate quotes. But when I hit the "Save" button, the two separate quotes come back again, and I cannot get rid of them.

Here is an example of what I mean. I created this one intentionally, but this often happens unintentionally.
I agree and it just seems so
obvious to me to make the background white.

I hate it when the system does that to me. But I should ask, does this happen to anyone else?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
My #2 gripe (well, it is more of a request than a gripe) is this. I would like the system to remember that I prefer a specific font type and font size. I want that combination to be a default setting for anything I post. As it is, I have to take a few extra moments after each comment I type in, and manually select my preferred font and size.

iwire

Staff member
Bob. On my screen, the background is white. Is it different on your screen?

Definitely not white on my screen, I guess more of a blue / gray combination.

I am running FireFox browser on a Windows PC.

Here is a picture of the Beatles White album

beatles-white-album.jpg

Can you see the entire cover or just the words?

On my screen I can clearly see a white album cover in the gray/Blue field of the forum, how about anyone else?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Just the words. And the whiteness of the white background of the White Album is definitely more white than the forum's background. So perhaps when I say my screen has a white background for the forum, I am accepting a light gray as though it were white.

Indeed, as I am now typing this comment, I am noticing for the first time that the background of the box into which I am typing, the background behind the text I am typing, is a far brighter white than the background of the rest of my screen.

Is this what you were talking about?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Definitely not white on my screen, I guess more of a blue / gray combination.

I am running FireFox browser on a Windows PC.

Here is a picture of the Beatles White album

beatles-white-album.jpg

On my screen I can clearly see a white album cover in the gray/Blue field of the forum, how about anyone else?

Mine is also a light gray.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.