well pump run from two sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure this is even legal but has anyone ever had this situation? I have two homeowners who put a well on the lot line that separates their properties. They went halves on expense. They are on town water for domestic use and are using the well for lawns only. They want me to install a line from each unit for the pump and using relays whichever sprinkler control calls will pull in the pump on that home's power and interlock out the other source. I know I can make it work but wondered if there is a better way? Thanks

Martin B

I wouldn't do it. I think the issue is "disconnecting means". You would need to be able to disconnect the power to the motor from 1 location. May want to check out article 675 NEC.

Good luck

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Not sure this is even legal but has anyone ever had this situation? I have two homeowners who put a well on the lot line that separates their properties. They went halves on expense. They are on town water for domestic use and are using the well for lawns only. They want me to install a line from each unit for the pump and using relays whichever sprinkler control calls will pull in the pump on that home's power and interlock out the other source. I know I can make it work but wondered if there is a better way? Thanks
Use a mechanically interlocked set of contactors, that way there is no way of them connecting at the same time.

luckylerado

The better way might be a separate service or a sub-meter with water meters.

What happens if they want to water the lawn at the same time? Who gets to pay for freeze protection?

templdl

I would consider a double throw safety switch where the handles center position is off, up is one source, down is the other source.
There may not be padlocking provisions provided such that when padlocksare installed they would prevent the handle from being put is either position. When the padlock of the desired source is removed it would allow the handle to be moved to that source. The padlock can only be installed when the handle is moved back in the off position.

You could use a 24v controlled normally open/normally closed line voltage contactor. One neighbors power would be connected to the normally open contact and the other neighbors power would be connected to the normally closed contact, this neighbor would then run a 24v line from their sprinkler controller (sprinkler valves are normally 24v) so when their sprinkler controller turns on to water, it will activate the contactor thus using their power and disconnecting the neighbors power. When the sprinkler controller turns off the other neighbors power will be re-connected allowing them to water whenever....Hope this makes sense!

This is exactly what I had in mind, thank you. RIB has units with end switches also, dry contacts. It's a little funky but with the interlock shouldn't be a problem. Thanks.

You could use a 24v controlled normally open/normally closed line voltage contactor. One neighbors power would be connected to the normally open contact and the other neighbors power would be connected to the normally closed contact, this neighbor would then run a 24v line from their sprinkler controller (sprinkler valves are normally 24v) so when their sprinkler controller turns on to water, it will activate the contactor thus using their power and disconnecting the neighbors power. When the sprinkler controller turns off the other neighbors power will be re-connected allowing them to water whenever....Hope this makes sense!

luckylerado

None of the conductors are service conductors so nothing in 230 applies.

Each branch ckt is fed from a service.

(E) Identification. Where a building or structure is supplied by
more than one service, or any combination of branch circuits,
feeders, and services,
a permanent plaque or directory shall be
installed at each service disconnect location denoting all other
services, feeders, and branch circuits supplying that building or
structure and the area served by each. See 225.37.

iwire

Staff member
Each branch ckt is fed from a service.

(E) Identification. Where a building or structure is supplied by
more than one service, or any combination of branch circuits,
feeders, and services,
a permanent plaque or directory shall be
installed at each service disconnect location denoting all other
services, feeders, and branch circuits supplying that building or
structure and the area served by each. See 225.37.

That section applies only to the service conductors that is why it sends you to 225

luckylerado

Ok. I will take it. 225 reads pretty much the same way as do A through E

225.30 Number of Supplies
A building or other structure that is served by a branch circuit or
feeder on the load side of a service disconnecting means shall be
supplied by only one feeder or branch circuit unless permitted in
225.30(A) through (E)...

It's easy enough to make it work with two contactors, two disconnect switches, and each contactor having a NC auxiliary contact which opens coil voltage to the other contactor upon energizing. My biggest concern was that I have never seen this before so I wanted to throw it out there. It's a bit like an alternating relay except I am swapping lines instead of loads.

well pump addendum

well pump addendum

after all this hemming and hawing about this subject I got a revelation. The second homeowner came to me and told me, " yeah, one well but two separate pumps, one for me and one for him" ! Gotta love working for homeowners! Definitely not how it was explained to me by the original customer. Hey, it never gets old. Thanks for all the input gentlemen!

Status
Not open for further replies.