Examination Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Happy Independence Day,

Can someone help me with a code question?
Are receptacles in medical examination rooms required to be Hospital Grade?
Also, If there is a sink in the room are they required to be GFCI protected?

Thanks and have a great summer.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Read 517.18, 517.19, and 517.21

Basically, HG receptacles are not required in exam rooms and GFCI's are required in most exam rooms where they are close to a sink.

Roger

Last edited:

Ravenvalor

Read 517.18, 517.19, and 517.21

Basically, HG receptacles are not required in exam rooms and GFCI's are required in most exam rooms where they are close to a sink.

Roger

I have to agree with you. I did not see anything in the NEC requiring HG's in exam rooms. If they are not required then why are they in the exam rooms of a doctor's office here in NC?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If they are not required then why are they in the exam rooms of a doctor's office here in NC?

I think it basically boils down to over design and the fact that a few items used in exam rooms may have HG cord caps and call for HG receptacles.

They have gotten cheap enough that they are not that much of an extra expense.

Then there is the chance that it is some off the wall interpretation by DHSR. I have an issue right now ( click here ) where one of there inspectors claim daisy chaining the equipotential panelboard bonding conductor as required in 517.14 is not allowed and he won't or doesn't have the courtesy to answer my emails questioning him on how he came to this conclusion. I will continue to send them though. :D:cool:

I am sending the 1993 ROP and ROC in my next email, this was where the wording of the last sentence came to be

Roger

Ravenvalor

Thanks for the history of overdesigned examination rooms. Now I see what is going on here in my town.

I read your 517.14 thread. It looks like you have a real piece of work as an inspector. Maybe he will get laid off when the government shuts down :D.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Just had this one come up last week.

GC asked me why I made them put in HG receptacles in one Dr's office, but I didn't make them put them in the one across the hall. Well, simply put, one contractor install HG receptacles in one Dr's office and the other one didn't, I didn't make them do anything.

You can always do more.

Status
Not open for further replies.