PVC and the grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm with you on that one, but have been through this before on this site. Apparently we don't have a very popular stand on the subject.

Fortunately, our inspectors don't care how we make the bends. It's the finished product they are concerned with. If they see no scorches or other physical damage and the bends aren't too tight, that's all they care about.

FWIW, grey automotive primer in a spray can hides the scorches very well. It's also great for covering up the printing on the PVC for aesthetic purposes.
But now is hard for inspector to determine if you used schedule 40 or 80 where that may be an issue:happyyes:

kwired

Electron manager
Car exhaust gets pretty hot.

One at idle however isn't quite as hot, and worse yet when the goal is to capture some heat, is a diesel engine that is not loaded. There is heat there but I have tried the exhaust pipe in cool weather - not enough heat unless you have some RPM's on the motor, or at least some driven load to create more heat, which with a car or truck usually means it has to be moving to have much for load, but the exhaust of a stationary machine - works great if the machine is loaded.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
:D

I think that is 'over think' I do not believe the CMP is anywhere near as careful with words as you are.
Bob,
Actually my point was that after the smaller sizes of PVC are heated, they are often bent using our hands....are they "identified for the purpose"?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
But now is hard for inspector to determine if you used schedule 40 or 80 where that may be an issue:happyyes:

If that's an issue, put the paint on after the inspection.

I have a short run of PVC right next to my back door feeding a receptacle. I decided after I put up the conduit I didn't like looking at the printing. So I got some primer, and sliding a piece of cardboard behind the conduit to keep paint from getting on the siding, sprayed away. It looks like there never was printing on it.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Bob,
Actually my point was that after the smaller sizes of PVC are heated, they are often bent using our hands....are they "identified for the purpose"?

If you look up the NEC's definition of 'Identified', it starts out with 'Recognized as suitable for the specific purpose'.

So, yeah, I would say our hands are 'Identified for the purpose' as per the NEC.

kwired

Electron manager
If that's an issue, put the paint on after the inspection.

I have a short run of PVC right next to my back door feeding a receptacle. I decided after I put up the conduit I didn't like looking at the printing. So I got some primer, and sliding a piece of cardboard behind the conduit to keep paint from getting on the siding, sprayed away. It looks like there never was printing on it.
PVC cleaner that is used for preparation for solvent welding also works great if you wish to remove markings on the pipe.

Jon456

I discovered -- at the end of the project -- that the foreman for the infamous contractor who installed our 1MW solar system had a "trick" that he was using for making improvised bends in the large diameter PVC: he would slather PVC cement all over the outside of the conduit and set it on fire. After the PVC started to blister and char, he would put out the fire and bend the conduit.

Yes, he did this with conduit protruding from the ground against the side of our buildings. Yes, he did this even with large areas of dried combustible weeds in and around our buildings. We're damn lucky he didn't start a wildfire that could have destroyed our facilities. :rant:

Occupation
Inspector
Has any one used those springs they sell? I think they come 1/2 and 3/4. They are supposed to work without heating the pvc.

I used my "Pipe Viper" just yesterday to make an offset in 1/2" PVC. On a cold day it is a little more difficult to bend without heating the PVC.

Attachments

• IMG_5153.jpg
    IMG_5153.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 0

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Today I decided to help an old friend run some PVC. I saw he had a grill On the truck and some charcoal...after he lit the grill He stuck the PVC through the vents spun it bent it. I know they make heaters and fans but I can't help but think there has gotta be a better homemade way ... Any ideas?? I wish take a picture to show u bootleg at its best

this is what i use. UL listed for the purpose.
expensive, but it works. the manufacturer
says it will not scorch pipe... not exactly accurate.
anything burning this much gas will scorch damn
near anything, if you are a dork using it...

http://www.hotbend.com/

Last edited:

FREEBALL

Yeah I saw the pvc glue trick before works, if your gonna bury it right away lol. I bought a bender for up to 1 inch greenlee works nice and makes a neat job for exposed work. I will try and post some pics. I did a volunteer job on a green house and the farm mngr. thought it was flex until he walked up and looked at it. But now I worked one time on a HUD housing/apartment job with a lot of underground 3 and 4 inch pvc, this old guy had a barrel lit fire had a 4 inch steal plate across the top and cinderblocks cut in half lining the top about 2 blocks cut in half he moved the pvc through this back and forth through the cores and it worked great he used wheel rims for bends seemed to work great but unless your doing a lot of the same work on the job would be time consuming on small jobs. But yeah I used torches to bend some in the past small runs to sub panels and such but its a pain and if you burn the conduit you start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.