250.24 A 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIC1958

Confused........ I have just finished watching one of Mikes Videos on where to terminate the GEC at the service. Video was very informing and straight forward until about two thirds through. He makes mention that if PVC conduit is used to connect the meter enclosure to the panel enclosure that a separate equipment grounding conductor is not allowed under any circumstances due to t he fact of paralleling of the neutrals. I am confused, lets say you use rigid conduit between the two enclosures and use bonding bushings if required, since the neutral is bonded to both the enclosures along with the ground, wouldn't the RMC be a parallel path for the neutral?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Confused........ I have just finished watching one of Mikes Videos on where to terminate the GEC at the service. Video was very informing and straight forward until about two thirds through. He makes mention that if PVC conduit is used to connect the meter enclosure to the panel enclosure that a separate equipment grounding conductor is not allowed under any circumstances due to t he fact of paralleling of the neutrals. I am confused, lets say you use rigid conduit between the two enclosures and use bonding bushings if required, since the neutral is bonded to both the enclosures along with the ground, wouldn't the RMC be a parallel path for the neutral?

Yes, you are correct and this is one of those idiosyncrasies of the code. RMC creates a parallel path but it is allowed however you cannot deliberately add an equipment grounding conductor.

VIC1958

Thanks..... I thought I was going nuts!! I also see a lot of guys using the concentric K.O. on both enclosures, they are using the bonding bushings on both sides using a EGC bonded to the enclosure and the bushing and continuing it to other enclosure and bonding it to the bushing and other enclosure...this would be a violation. Correct?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A metallic service raceway with or without concentric KO's is required to be bonded on one end by a method other than standard locknuts, this can be with a bonding bushing and a bonding jumper.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
A metallic service raceway with or without concentric KO's is required to be bonded on one end by a method other than standard locknuts, this can be with a bonding bushing and a bonding jumper.
Can also be a bonding locknut.

electricalist

I have asked this asked this as well.
What about when 3 sseparate paralleled sets with RMC from meter to first disconnect with all holes drilled then bonding bushings with bonding jumpers just because they dont wanna fail their inspection.
Thats about 7 paths for the neutral..

iwire

Staff member

I don't see how that addresses the OPs question. :?

Even though the code only requires it be bonded on one end the reality is it is electrically connected at both ends making a parallel path as the OP said.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see how that addresses the OPs question. :?

Even though the code only requires it be bonded on one end the reality is it is electrically connected at both ends making a parallel path as the OP said.

It doesn't, post #4 addresses the question right before it in post #3. :)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I worked in a city where the inspector made us bond the ground and neutral in the meter.
Whether that is Code or not depends on what your 'ground' is referring to. With regard to a meter base enclosure where we have a grounded [neutral] conductor, there could also be a GEC(s), bonding jumper(s), and non-current-carrying metal parts (e.g. enclosure)... and all are required to be connected to the neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.